3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mas 49-56 Slam Fire Author Topic
WAR2GUY
Gunboards Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 09:57:30 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I load the first round in my 49-56 by pulling the bolt all the way back and releasing it, I get a slam fire every time. I thought I had a stuck firing pin, but the firing pin is not stuck in the forward position (protruding from the bolt face). Any ideas?
I'm going to disassemble the rifle and look for the cause, but I'm not familiar with french rifles. Any help would be appreciated.

Ike27
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
439 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 10:37:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need some more information as to the types of ammunition you are using. If you are reloading, either seat your primers deeper or use CCI No.34 military primers that have less sensitivity.

Ike

WAR2GUY
Gunboards Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 11:37:36 AM

I was using Prvi Partizan Factory loads and the primers are slightly recessed below the case head. Thanks for the input.

WAR2GUY
Gunboards Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 12:53:10 PM

I just field stripped the bolt assembly. I cleaned and lightly oiled the parts and maybe that will solve the problem.
Should the firing pin and ejector both be free floating? My rifle has no spring for either. Is this correct?

moulainville
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
211 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 12:56:17 PM

I have had similar slam-fires and double taps with both an MAS 1949 and 49/56 when using PRVI ammo. I also reload using CCI #34 primers and HAVE NOT had either event occur. My assumption is that the PRVI primers are too sensitive for the free floating firing pins of the MAS rifles.
I have heard (can't remember where or who) that light wieght titanium(?) firing pins are available. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find them. Anyone have a lead on that?

Tom-M
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
558 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 1:05:11 PM

I have a titanium fireing pin. Works great, but don't remember name of supplier. I got it several years back -price was $99 I believe.

vonmazur

USA
1762 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 4:02:47 PM

Ejector and Firing Pin are not sprung on the Mle 49-56....

Dale

WAR2GUY
Gunboards Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 5:28:38 PM

Thanks everyone,
the reason I asked if both firing pin and ejector were unsprung is that it looks like the ejector sticking would fire a round as effectively as the firing pin. My ejector was kind of sticky. I hope that was the problem. I would consider buying the titanium firing pin if it comes to that. Sounds like a clever solution.
Thanks very much for all the help.
If there are any more suggestions
out there, please post.

vonmazur

USA
1762 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 6:41:42 PM

Since the firing pins are available at GPC and other suppliers, you might want to flatten the tip slightly, and try that. This works for me, but only a slight flattening is needed..

Dale

HOwebman
Gunboards Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 7:51:01 PM

Call these guy's for a titanium firing pin. I had the same problems with my MAS, and they stopped when I changed out the firing pins, Hope this helps you out.

McCann Industries
(253) 537-6919 or FAX to (253) 537-6993

NEW- MAS 1949/56Titanium Alloy Firing Pin
$89.00 +$10.00 S&H

Fushigi Ojisan
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1130 Posts
Posted - 05/23/2007 : 11:58:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tom-M

I have a titanium fireing pin. Works great, but don't remember name of supplier. I got it several years back -price was $99 I believe.

I did too, works like a champ.

Now they are $89!

http://www.gokart.net/shop-utopia/mccann/rifles/mas/mas.html

kelt

France
2315 Posts
Posted - 05/24/2007 : 10:25:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WAR2GUY

Thanks everyone,
the reason I asked if both firing pin and ejector were unsprung is that it looks like the ejector sticking would fire a round as effectively as the firing pin. My ejector was kind of sticky. I hope that was the problem. I would consider buying the titanium firing pin if it comes to that. Sounds like a clever solution.
Thanks very much for all the help.
If there are any more suggestions
out there, please post.

- Ejector
Check the inside of the receiver, there is a groove on the left side, that allow the ejector to stay retracted until the bolt is in the rearward position, even if gummed in the forward position the ejector cannot strike the primer in the anvil area.

- Firing pin and soft primers
Check the protrusion of the firing pin when it is in the forward position, the correct value is from 1.3mm to 1.8mm when using military type ammunition.
The problem of using soft primed commercial ammunition is solved in France where many Mas 49 & 49-56 are rechambered in calibers like 30/284, 300 Savage or rebarreled in 7.08 Rem, by grinding off 0.5mm from the tip of the firing pin, leaving a flat tip that spread the striking force over a wider area.

- Lubrication of the bolt track
Use the same type of grease that is recommended for the Garand, M1A or M1 carbine, it works better than oil that never stays where it should.

You may also find interesting the following threads where the same problem was discussed in details:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122520

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121244

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118013

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75537

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29376

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18908

kelt

Edited by - kelt on 05/24/2007 10:28:47 AM

WAR2GUY
Gunboards Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 05/24/2007 : 4:15:28 PM

Thanks for all the help. Now I have to find a spare firing pin or two. I'm afraid to experiment without a backup.

WAR2GUY
Gunboards Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 05/27/2007 : 12:38:20 AM

I now have one spare firing pin on the way so I got brave and removed .5mm from the end of my F.P., giving it much more surface area. I'll try it out at the range this coming Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Badger2Tony
Gunboards Member

USA
84 Posts
Posted - 05/27/2007 : 10:21:04 PM

I also have spare pins in people want them. I've been doing the 0.5mm trick since Kelt tipped me off several years ago. Not one slam since. I use both CCI #34 primers and various comercial loads.

Tony

WAR2GUY
Gunboards Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2007 : 1:30:50 PM

Well, I just returned from the range and I couldn't be happier. I took your advice Kelt, and modified my firing pin. The rifle functioned perfectly. No slamfires or malfunctions of any kind. I plan to shoot this rifle often. It hits where I look, and is a pleasure to shoot. When I shoot military surplus ammo, will I have to switch back to an unmodified pin or will the modified pin fire military and commercial equally well? Thanks Kelt, and thanks to all
of you who responded. Your comments and tips are really appreciated.

Thanks again,
WAR2GUY

WAR2GUY
Gunboards Member

USA
25 Posts
Posted - 05/29/2007 : 1:36:33 PM

Ooops, it seems that Badger2Tony already answered my question as to whether the modified firing pin will work with military as well as commercial ammo.
Thank you!

Edited by - WAR2GUY on 05/29/2007 1:38:42 PM

Railhead
Starting Member

5 Posts
Posted - 05/30/2007 : 10:07:25 AM

I had some of that old ammo with the soft primers once. I was showing a buddy how nice my Mas was. One the fifth round it decided to go full auto. VERY SCARY! The last round out of the barrel probably cleared the berm at the range by 40 feet. I have no idea how far it went but it scares me to think about it. I have since modified the firing pin and got rid of that ammo.

kelt

France
2315 Posts
Posted - 05/30/2007 : 1:26:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WAR2GUY

When I shoot military surplus ammo, will I have to switch back to an unmodified pin or will the modified pin fire military and commercial equally well?

If you haven't been overenthousiastic with the firing pin modification, it should get the job done as is just as well with milsurp, CCI 34 reloads than with commercial ammo.
The minimum acceptable protrusion of the firing pin out of the bolt face for reliable operation is 0.8mm.

Enjoy, kelt

1 - 1 of 1 Posts