Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fist off let me tell you that I am almost completely unfamiliar with French firearms, and of course the pricing of them. I was at the local gunshop today and hes got a 49/56 which he says hes had back in his collection for many years now and he purchased it dirctly from the importer and he has never fired it. The gun is in great condition and it looks like the barrel is a mismatch replacement from rearsenal. He has all the original acc. still in the wrappers and it comes with 4 10rd. mags. It also has like some kind of composite material for a bolt handle, its shaped exactly like the metal ones and is exactly the same except its white composite, i assume this is a replacement from rearsenal? He is asking $500 for it and that doesn't seem too bad to me as this is a very nice looking gun, but of course i have no idea so if i can just get a heads up i'd appreciate it! Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone??? I just need to know what I should expect to pay for this rifle.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
The rifles originally had the white plastic bolt knobs. $500 seems a bit high. Check some completed auctions on Gun Broker or other auction site to get an idea about what these rifles are really selling for.

·
Registered
244 Posts
49/56 pricing

Next time you're at the shop, take a look at the left side of the rifle's reciever. The serial number will be stamped vertically right next to the forestock. Somewhere to the right of that there should be a stamp: a "P" followed by two numbers in a square. Those two numbers are the year the rifle was re-arsenaled. The later the date, the better. Less chance of abuse- but there are are a hell of alot of exceptions, too!
If I were in your shoes, I'd trust my guts and buy it. My wife's 49/56 was re-arsenaled in '91, the latest date I've ever seen. Like new condition, we got it for $375. BUT, the rear sear on the trigger was still so worn I had to re-grind it (NOT a job for anybody but a gunsmith!) to cure the infamous "slam-fire" problem these rifles are prone to. Sometimes the firing pin is to blame, sometimes the ammo primers, sometimes the sear. You can get the full story from older posts. Once that problem is cured, it's one of the best rifles you'll ever own.
I got my wife's MAS about two years ago; since then the prices have been shooting up. For no honest reason that I can see. Just plain greed and gouging. I've seen beat-up junk .308 conversions going for $700..........unbelievable.
Just my two cents- good luck!

·
Registered
895 Posts
$500 seems about right. They're fun guns to shoot, handle similar to an SKS but have the punch of a full-size rifle cartridge. I enjoyed a few slam fires with mine initially, but that was solved from stripping the bolt completely and cleaning an inch of grease out of the carrier. You should jump on it, as long as it is in the original 7.5 French chambering. This ammo is scarce, but can be ordered from Grafs and Midway, I believe.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, availability of ammo was the the next thing i was concerned about. I asked my dealer about it and of course he said it was easy to get. He has some Prvi Partizan for like $13.00 or something but so far i have'nt had any luck in finding anyone who offers this ammo. I could'nt even find it in shotgun news. It's mainly going to be used for hunting and plinking now and then but how long is this ammo going to be available if only a couple manufacturers are producing it?

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
Check out AIM Surplus for that same Prvi Partizan ammo.
I'm glad I bought 200 rounds of it when it was $1 less a box though.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Back before these rifles were imported to the US, I read about a collector who paid $1200 for his copy. Then, CAI flooded the market with 'em and they plummeted to about $250. SOG and CAI both sold tons of them. There were even deals to buy two for $450 and included all the accessories, too. Those days are long gone, of course.

I'd say $450 would be a very competitive price for one with the accessories today so $500 isn't all that much more and there are no more in the shops or suppliers warehouses. One thing you didn't mention is he caliber. Is it in original French caliber or has it been converted to .308? If it's been converted, I'd say it would be less valuable to a collector but if running properly is still a very nice rifle. Heck, with the price of .308 today, it's hardly a difference in the cost of shooting!

Rome

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, its in the 7.5 cal. I am seriously considering it, just as long as finding ammo is not a major ordeal.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked Aim and they do have 7.5 $10 is the cheapest i've found so far and that is quite acceptable. Ill keep ya'll informed on what happens.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Check out Grafs: http://www.grafs.com/ammo/233 They are not as cheap as AIM, but there are plenty of horror stories about AIM requiring a lot of paperwork and proof of residency that seems above and beyond what is normal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Try and get late production Indep FNM 7.5, the loads are closer to the correct spec than the earlier stuff and its all boxer primed. I reload mine and its a great round. Considering taking it hunting next year if I can get one to convert into a sporter!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Buy it

Yep, buy it. If you have problems, this board will help you out, I'm sure of that. I've had alot of experience curing the "slam-fire" problems and if you run into that, I'll be here to help, and I'm not the only one for sure. Hell, if you turn out to hate the rifle, I'll buy it from you; I hate having to "borrow" my wife's. You've got my word of honor on that and a board full of witnesses.............but I think you'll be more than happy.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
The gun is in great condition and it looks like the barrel is a mismatch replacement from rearsenal. He has all the original acc. still in the wrappers and it comes with 4 10rd. mags. It also has like some kind of composite material for a bolt handle, its shaped exactly like the metal ones and is exactly the same except its white composite, i assume this is a replacement from rearsenal?
I am curious, where did you see Mas semi auto rifles with metal bolt knob?

On the Mas 49-56 sold from the 2nd reserve storage, mismatched barrels are the norm, most of the Mas 49-56 have been rearsenaled sometime up to three times.

The Mas semi autos rifles when properly maintained and with the correct military ammunition never "slamfired".

The cure against slamfire by firing pin strike on soft primed ammo is very simple, flatnose the firing pin! it will result in a shorter indent spread over a larger area of the primer.

The protrusion of the firing pin outside of the bolt face, acceptable is a minimum of 1,3mm and maximum is 1,8mm.

When using soft primers, the cheap trick is to take a long firing pin, and ground 0,5mm off its rounded tip flat to bring its protrusion from the maxi 1,8mm to the minimum 1,3mm with a much larger bearing area.

The cure against slamfire by worn trigger/hammer sear contacts is a new trigger block.

The cure against slamfire by a poorly adjusted trigger block otherwise sound is the vertical adjustment of the trigger block.

It is the most common origin of uncontrolled fire with Mas semi autos, resulting in occasional or permanent auto release of the hammer during bolt operation by hand or during shooting.
No amount of modification to the firing pin will cure it!

The vertical position of the trigger block in the receiver will condition the capacity of the auto sear to catch and lock the hammer during the bolt move to the rear.
If the auto sear do not catch and lock the hammer, the trigger sear will not engage either, and the hammer will fall to strike the firing pin when the bolt is closed.

The trigger must be depressed and the hammer locked at the back by the auto sear and not by the trigger sear when checking that the hammer is protruding from 0,8 to 1mm above the floor of the receiver.

If the protrusion checks out fine but the uncontrolled fire still occurs, the trigger block has worn out parts and must be replaced.

The hammer protrusion must be checked every time the stock/trigger block is removed from the receiver and also after long duration storage where the wood of the stock may have shrunk or swollen thus altering the trigger block vertical position.

kelt

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello...

Ever since I started reloading my 7.5 French with CCI #34 hard military primers, I have not had one single slam fire.

Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just bought my 49/56 today on gunbroker. Paid 325 + 25 s&h. Came with 3 mags and a couple hundred rounds of new primed brass. Even if you toss in all the accessories, 500 seems a little high to me. But not outrageous. also - Privi 7.5mm French is at "Ammunition to go" for around $48/100 rnds. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are two Mas 49/56's at the gunshop and the one that has the metal bolt knob is a .308 conversion. He's asking $450 for it, its not in as good of shape as its 7.5 twin.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've never seen one with a metal knob on the charging handle.

All things being equal, I'd pick the 7.5 original caliber. The cost of finding .308 and 7.5 French is about the same so go with the original. If I had the choice, that's what I'd do.

Rome

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Here's a pic of a French MAS 49 with an aluminum bolt carrier knob. The only one I have with a metal knob.
BTW, I got one of the very first MAS 49/56s to leave the CAI warehouse in the 90's. I'd never seen a MAS 49/56 in the flesh before and bundled with all the goodies to boot! I was blown away. Paid $450 for it. I certainly bought early on that one! But it was my first French C&R so I carry no regrets. Today street prices on the 49/56 seem to be running from $350 to $500 on average depending on the usual caveats and figure to pay a premium if all the accessories are included. I will still insist that the French semi-autos are, for the most part, under appreciated and you cannot go wrong buying in at this time. This is esp. true of the MAS 44 and 49.
Dale, one question: any idea how many 49/56s were imported by CAI? Just curious.
Cheers,
mawkie

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
I have seen acouple sell at gunshows for about $500. I understand that France is destroying these instead of
selling them, if that is the case they will only have one direction to go in value and it is not down. I remember seeing them sell around $200-$250. ten years ago. I wonder what
they will bring ten years from now. If you want one, buy it. If you don't you will regret it.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts