Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain for me:
1. How is head space set on a MAS 49/56? I think that a bolt locking shoulder that fits through and pinned to the receiver has to used but are these shoulders the same size? If not, how would one know what to use? If I was going to rebarrel a MAS where would I get such locking shoulders?
2. The rear receiver cover with the rear sight does not make a rock solid connection with the receiver. Is this normal? On my MAS the cover wobbles right and left about a 1/32"(maybe a little more). The rear of the cover does not move at all. Any movement of the cover after recoil (even ever so slight) should also move the rear sight a bit left or right. This must affect the accuracy of the rifle. Is there anyway to tighten up the cover to the receiver?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I don't know about question #1.

The answer to #2 is yes, yes and I don't think so.

Have you ever field stripped your rifle? If you have then I think you would not have asked #2.

The open sights are OK for their intended purpose. This is a battle rifle.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
The shoulders are available at Apex but I don't know if they come in various sizes like they do on a FAL.

Yes, the receiver covers move a bit. As motor said, it's a battle rifle. My rifle is scoped so I don't worry. :)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
1) There are 6 Bolt locking wedge measuring from 11,11 to 11,21mm by 0,02mm increment., in order to pick the correct size, for a new barrel installation, you would need the set of headspace gauges (see sketch below).

2) As long as the rear part of the bolt cover is locked tight, the accuracy is not affected by the play usually found on the forepart of the bolt cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) There are 6 Bolt locking wedge measuring from 11,11 to 11,21mm by 0,02mm increment., in order to pick the correct size, for a new barrel installation, you would need the set of headspace gauges (see sketch below).

2) As long as the rear part of the bolt cover is locked tight, the accuracy is not affected by the play usually found on the forepart of the bolt cover.
Thanks to everyone for helping me understand things better!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts