Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF you can give me any advise to problem solve this issue. I have fired this rifle several times before but now it has this issue. When I fire a shot, it sill fire 1-3 shots before i hire click. Nothing. Sometime there are primer strikes and sometimes none. I eject the round and get a new one in. It mostly just click. Either it does have a strike or it does not. I change out the firing pin to a longer one and i installed a new ejector.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
You're having an unlucky go of firearms lately. I see 3 new posts, all referencing malfunctions with various weapons. I feel its pertinent to ask, do you regularly clean and lubricate your guns before shooting them? Cleaning/lubed and not worn out springs make the most dependable of any gun.
This isn't meant as sarcasm or criticism...just honestly asking. All old military guns might have issues from time to time, but a MAS, Rasheed, and Nambu all at once. Yikes man!
Good luck with them all. You will get sound advice from all these boards sir.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're having an unlucky go of firearms lately. I see 3 new posts, all referencing malfunctions with various weapons. I feel its pertinent to ask, do you regularly clean and lubricate your guns before shooting them? Cleaning/lubed and not worn out springs make the most dependable of any gun.
This isn't meant as sarcasm or criticism...just honestly asking. All old military guns might have issues from time to time, but a MAS, Rasheed, and Nambu all at once. Yikes man!
Good luck with them all. You will get sound advice from all these boards sir.

You are very correct. just been dealing with it for a while on my own. Trying to figure it out first before seeking serious help. I just give up. I know I am doing some things properly but. I am sure I am missing something that's an easy fix.

hammer and spring are strong. replaced recoil, firing pin springs, ejector spring.

clean and lube before and after I fired it.

converted to 308 by the importer

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I know these .308 conversions have a spotty reputation for reliability. I don’t know the specifics on what can be done to help with them though. Best of luck

·
Gold Bullet member
1,178 Posts
i heard that and after this. i agree
There is a host of issues with the 49/56 conversions. From what you have said, it will sometimes fire a couple rounds and then fails to fire others. The chamber reaming of a lot of these conversions was poorly done and the chamber itself may be out of dimension. If you recovered the cases of the rounds that did fire, what did they look like? Were the cases bulged at the base? Do the walls of the fired cases show gouge marks or scratches? Are the firing pin strikes centered on the primer or off to the side? The rounds that do not fire, do the extract easily and do they show evidence of a firing pin strike? If the chamber is poor done or has excessive headspace, as might be indicated by YES answers to those questions, then there really isn't anything you can do about it. On the other hand, there could be issues with the firing pin travel or the bolt not locking up correctly, preventing a proper hammer strike on the firing pin. Another possible issue could be that the firing pin was shortened to prevent slam firing, but was shortened too much. A new unaltered firing pin could cure the issue. Just some suggestions from a lot of experience at getting the 49/56 conversions to run correctly.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I purchased my .308 conversion from a owner that was selling it locally over 20 years ago . We met at his gun club range in north New Jersey and I asked him if it any problems with extracting ,doubling, miss fires and feeding into the chamber ? He said no and to prove it he let me fire off 10 mags. of .308 cal. commercial Remington ammo with out a single hang up .The barrel was hot to the touch and the group was 3 inches at 100 yards in the stand up position . I was glade to give him the $250.00 he was asking for it ,came with 4 mags. that were stamped on the floor plate .308 ,complete cleaning kit ,night sight and bayonet .I guess I was just very luck . It will throw the fired cases 15 feet but I could care less . I do have the after market gas adjustable valve but have not installed it the rifle works too well with out it ! The over finish of the stock ,hand guard was very well done and the metal was not worn and had 85% bluing .

·
Registered
992 Posts
Main mods for a .308 MAS are replacing the recoil spring with correct length, Starmetal adjustable gas valve, titanium or spring loaded firing pin, and also filing the extractor to get a better grip on the .308 rim. Have done all of the above except for modifying the extractor. She runs like a top but sometimes will still rip the rim off of a case, so i see the extractor mod in my future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.