Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a really nice MAS 44 today. I scanned the threads here and don't see anything about this rifle, I imagine that's a result of having to start the forum over from scratch with the move to vBulletin. I did note the survey thread.

Only info I've found so far was a range of values from Man-o-war's firearms values at fo.com . It refers to the MAS 44 as "very rare." Is this just another instance of over-using the word rare? Or are they in fact uncommon enough to be called rare?

TIA,
SlimTim

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Congratulations! Approx. 6,000 made, 3,000 imported to the US (I'm sure Dale will correct me if my memory's failed me again). Not as rare in the US as a French MAS 49 ( less than 300 imported ) but uncommon to be sure.
My best advice is to buy, beg, borrow or steal a copy of Jean Huon's book, Proud Promise - French Autoloading Rifles 1898 - 1979. It's the bible for French SA rifles and a great read. He has a chapter on the MAS 44 that should answer any questions you might have.
Would love to see some pix of your 44!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
I picked an all matching 44 up from Dale last year. A unique rifle in limited wartime production.

What did you pay for it?

Ike

·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. If things slow down some tomorrow, I'll try to take a pic or two. Noticed on survey some are parked, some are painted. Mine is 3 digit serial, appears receiver/barrel are blued, so I guess that is paint. However, buttplate is parked. Only serial numbers I find are on the buttstock, underside of the forestock and receiver, all match. Also, magazine has a serial? number (MASxxxxxx) on the left side that doesn't match, but matching serial number is etched on the opposite (right) side. Any other parts that should be serialized?

TIA,
SlimTim

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Mle 44 Mag marks...

The marking on the mag is a date code from the 1960's production, for the Mle 49-56 Rifles. The original model is virtually the same as the later on these Mags.

The Bolt, the Bolt Carrier, Trigger group, Rear Sight/Cover,Stock and Lower Fore End, and Bayonet are numbered. The Trigger Group is numbered on the front edge, with the last two digits of the full number, the Bayonet is numbered on the end cap with the same information.

Often, the Receiver Covers are mis-matched, as the number is inside, under the shock absorber pin, and often the owners do not look.(Usually a lot of grease is present in this area...) The Mle 44 was not stamped on the outside of the cover like the late series Mle 49 Rifles were. The Bolt and its Carrier are electro-pencilled and then acid etched with the number, not stamped...

This gun is not getting any cheaper or more common.....

Do not lose the Firing Pin Spring when you take the bolt out of the weapon...

Dale

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
The marking on the mag is a date code from the 1960's production, for the Mle 49-56 Rifles. The original model is virtually the same as the later on these Mags.

The Bolt, the Bolt Carrier, Trigger group, Rear Sight/Cover,Stock and Lower Fore End, and Bayonet are numbered. The Trigger Group is numbered on the front edge, with the last two digits of the full number, the Bayonet is numbered on the end cap with the same information.

Often, the Receiver Covers are mis-matched, as the number is inside, under the shock absorber pin, and often the owners do not look.(Usually a lot of grease is present in this area...) The Mle 44 was not stamped on the outside of the cover like the late series Mle 49 Rifles were. The Bolt and its Carrier are electro-pencilled and then acid etched with the number, not stamped...

This gun is not getting any cheaper or more common.....

Do not lose the Firing Pin Spring when you take the bolt out of the weapon...

Dale
So they were 6000 made, and well over 5000,000 Garands. Wouldn't make sense that one would be worth at least as much as a nice Garand? Of course less people are chasing MAS 44s than Garands......But if demand increased greatly, they might really get pricey......

·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Finally, a few quick "driveway" pics.

SlimTim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very nice rifle, thanks for posting pics. Yep looks like paint on the receiver, over a light phosphate finish. You won't regret buying that rifle.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Really nice is an understatement! That one's a keeper for sure. I haven't shot my 44 but if it's as accurate as my 49s then this one will put a beeeg smile on your face. Congratulations!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
Finally, a few quick "driveway" pics.

SlimTim
Beautiful rifle, I don't recall seeing a painted one before, are they among the earliest ones?
I don't know what you paid for it but there is no way it won't increase in value and having
something that nice is lot more fun than looking at figures in a bank account, and you can't shoot a bank account....

·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the continued comments, learning a bit with each one.

I also found a bit of info on the surplusrifleforums French semi-auto forum. I suspect more info was here before the software switch, but for now, that forum had some good info I didn't find here.

SlimTim

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Paint/Park Finish

Beautiful rifle, I don't recall seeing a painted one before, are they among the earliest ones?
I don't know what you paid for it but there is no way it won't increase in value and having
something that nice is lot more fun than looking at figures in a bank account, and you can't shoot a bank account....
IIRC: When the big pile of these was sold by Century Arms in the 80's, about 10% were painted, and 1-2% were stamped with an Anchor on the butt plate, on the top, behind the screw. All of the Anchor stamped guns were painted that I examined in person...

Dale

1 - 13 of 13 Posts