Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a MAS 36/51 and have decided to have a re-parkerization job done on it here locally. I have the weapon apart, but for the following:

- Floor Plate: How do you get it apart?
- Rear Sight: Is the pin holding the sight in just a regular pin I can knock out with a punch?
- Bayonet: Does it unscrew to disassemble (mine appears to have been staked)?

Any assistance would be appreciated, especially along the lines of things to have done to make the re-parkerization job come out correctly.

·
Silver Bullet member
150 Posts
Hi

Rear sight: drift pin from right to left
Floor plate: depress the knurled buttons and pull down
Bayonet: depress the small stud that protrudes through the hole and pull bayonet out.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks on the sight and the bayonet. Ref the floor plate, I have it out. I was wondering about removing the knurled buttons.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Amtraker,

The floor plate latch is locked in the floor plate by a small transverse pin.

The bayonet plug is threaded, watch the way the lock spring comes out.

The rear sight pin is cylindrical and headless, it can come out either way.

If you like smooth bolt handling, protect the bolt lugs recess in the receiver from being parkerized.

kelt

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kelt. Figured out the bayonet last night. The floor plate I'll tackle next.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Amtraker: If your floorplate is stamped, do not take it apart, repark as an assembly, like the French did it. The stamped floorplate is permanantly assembled by crimping, and not easily taken apart.. The milled floor plate has a pin driven in from the top and out from the bottom and can be taken apart easily...I speak from long experience on this gun....

Unless you want to be like the French Army, protect the bore from parkerizing, since we are not using corrosive ammo much these days...And Kelt is right about the lug recesses in the receiver, I think corks in the bore and a tight fitting wood dowel will take care of the protection...I have found that Park tanks run best at about 140Deg F and metal prep is important---no grease or oil. Wash thoroughly with hot water after wards and dry carefully....you know the drill!!

Dale

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dale, many thanks. I have another former Marine doing the park job and he literally said exactly what you just described. I'll post pics when the old girl is done. She's not matching, but I want her to look her best at the range. As for ammo, I load my own. I hate cleaning up after corrosive. BTW, I didn't know you knew Skip. We worked on the same camp in the 'Stan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts