Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I pick up the darndest projects..
I found a decent 1949, but someone has taken all of the front wood and bands off of it.
Will mas 36 wood and bands be a substitute or does it have its own special wood? I know the front band with no launcher is kinda hard to find, could a 36 substitute till a correct one is found?
numrich has a new lower wood, and handgard listed, so thats a possibility.
Thanks in advance!
Matt

·
Registered
403 Posts
I can't imagine wood off a 36 working with out a lot of hassle. It would probably be easier to start with a blank piece of wood. At the point you are at now, it would not matter if you used French issue or Syrian contract wood. The wood can be hard to find, but the nose cap is REAL hard to find. I would bet the Syrian cap easier to find, but right now the bayonet is going to be tough also. Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Thanks!
I'm not sure what it is.. meaning french or syrian that is. I havent ventured into these but a few odd 49/56's when they were imported.
M 1949, Serial is F64192 mostly mismatched.
I have shot it a few times and it works great, but just mainly need to cover up her front end.
so not necessarily looking to be all correct, just looking close.
Thanks for the info it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'd jump on the fore ends from Numrich. The fact you can buy one right now, from a solid vendor for a good price, incredible in the year 2020, for a battle rifle made in 1953! Do it, or it might be very hard to find down the road. IMHO

·
Registered
403 Posts
Maybe you should try the MAS 36 parts. Cheaper than hacking up a good '49 fore end. If you are handy, you could glue extra wood and fill with epoxy. If you can't get the MAS 36 nose cap to fit, you could probably make something out of aluminum. I have to agree with 148Infantry. You probably should buy the upper and lower hand guard just to have it. They used to have stocks too, but have not seen any for a while.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'd jump on the fore ends from Numrich. The fact you can buy one right now, from a solid vendor for a good price, incredible in the year 2020, for a battle rifle made in 1953! Do it, or it might be very hard to find down the road. IMHO
Good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!
I ordered the forestock and handgard from numrich, it says it's correct for this rifle, but we shall see..
anyway, I'll have something that's supposed to fit.

The front band i'm not too concerned about being correct for now, I think I'll pick up a mas36 front band and see how close it is, as long as i don't have to remove any wood, I'll put it on there just to secure everything in place.

I wouldn't have been able to figure this out without all the help, it is greatly appreciated.
Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts