Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,658 Posts
The letter is a 'J'
Patrick

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Reg:

We do not have the data for your "J 21XX" listed on the MAS Mle 1936 survey 'sticky'.

As to the "Why is the barrel so long" question, I do not believe that has been addressed in the Mle 1936 Common Questions 'sticky'. But as the rifle was designed after the cartridge was adopted, a balance of weight, material and muzzle velocity mitigated the barrel length.

Thank you for posting and welcome !

·
Registered
19,307 Posts
Okay, now this hits a sore point. I have the same issue with this script
and I am clueless if my 3 MAS have J, Q, or whatever markings on them..could be
a L or an I or ???? a R or a P ?? I give up.

Is there a picture of these script letters with a English translation so dummies like me can
read it and know what is on their rifles?

·
7,658 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The Mas 36 was designed in accordance with a tight set of specifications (1927) :

- Best possible accuracy (long sight radius)
- Weight with bayonet less than 3.6kg
- Bayonet stored in rifle
- Overall length 1.05M or less
- Barrel length 600mm or less
- Rear locking lugs
- Capacity to launch VB grenades

Numerous testing showed that the best accuracy was achieved with barrels of 500mm, but at the cost of a strong muzzle flash, and the Mas 36 barrel length of 580mm was a compromise.

kelt

·
7,658 Posts
Sorry to come off as unfriendly to you but I have noticed lately alot of people do not know how to SEARCH for a topic or certain words on a site, forum, etc. thus same old questions come up over and over.
I recommend all 'new' members' read stickies in the forums, use the search forum function for the information and I bet the majority of the time the answer is there somewhere.
Patrick

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Lebel:

Ah Mondays. My first reaction was similar you yours, as we are both vested in these matters. I almost answered the barrel length question with the frivolous pass that; "when the bayonet is put home, the barrel serves to protect the piling-hook and keep the 'chitlins' off the front sight". Not helpful, and it was up to steady Kelt, who saved the day with his economy of words.

The stickies are of less value to the novice than we may think. Extrapolating and collating that information can be a daunting task when a quick, simple and definitive answer is sought. But, on the positive side, the initial post led to additional information about one of the last "J"s. It gave us another indicator that not only was the 'run' co-produced by St. Etienne and ManuFrance from beginning to end, but that it was terminated on or about the end of May, 1940.

·
Registered
19,307 Posts
Guilty of not reading stickies. I am now reading all of them...this is indeed a work in progress.

I have a VN war bring back...me bringing it back. Old MAS 36 but the script is worn on the receiver and the
chart is helpful but I cannot definitively determine what letter is on this receiver. Yes...took the forearm off
to see if had a date under the chamber and that area is horribly pitted and no date is left there. I think all I will ever
know about this MAS is its French and I took it out of IV Corps which is hardly the driest place in the world.
Its bore is nearly smooth , those conditions and corrosive ammo have left a legacy of hard use. Its
provenance is it was in the hands of the wrong side.... pointing at me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts