Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been offered to buy a 1953 FH series Model 36. All serial numbers match, including the stock. There are no rebuild marks.
At second look, it appears to be a refurb. Bore appears to be parked. The guy wants $500 shipped for it. The seller found the serial number on the bolt. It matches.
Well, I ordered this rifle. The seller was able to come down on the price to $450 plus shipping..

Right side of stock

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,086 Posts
the original bolt may have been replaced with a new one over the years with and unmarked one. The Mle.1936's did not always get the re-builds marks like the Mle.49/56's did on them. Many of these were re-builds in the late 1960 and 1970's before they were stored until they were finally sold to the importers.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Many moons ago Apex had complete NOS spare Mas 36 bolts that had no numbers. If I remember this was around 2009-2010??? They were like 35 bucks. Maybe someone got one of these new parkrerized bolts because the rifles bolt did not pass a field gauge. Sort of odd. The late rebuilds that came out of a wrap that I got- all had renumbered bolts- at least my four. They matched the receiver serial number. Most other markings were ground or sanded away.
Interesting Apex still has used bolts at 60 bucks, these have numbers. Are serial numbers present on your rifle: the floor plate, trigger strap, bayonet, I see it on the stock????? Is your bore counter bored-see my link.
My SRF post with some of my Mas 36 rifles is here: The Mas 36 Rifle - Page 2 - Surplus Rifle Forum - www.surplusrifleforum.org

My thought at $550o_O be sure it headspaces and the bolt does not feel gritty or rough when closing. The no numbered bolt would be a red flag. At least it could be new??? I no longer remember who made my special order 7.5 field gauge gauge possibly CH4D. That would be one I would have to see & test in person, but then I am cheep. I did not realize values have got so nuts. It is great that its in original 7.5; you do not want a .308 NATO Century dog.

As for value:
Those in the wraps were tops at $300 back few years ago. I checked Peterson and that is about a $500 rifle if matching. Really nuts, but great shooters.
Some recent sold Mas 36 rifles as a reference (Might make you feel better) Prices be crazy.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am not really a bolt action guy, but have a few laying around, I believe that the number on the stock is not correct. One thing, it is crooked. I have an FG series all matching and the stock number is BELOW the sling swivel. Even the '44 was stamped below the swivel. Most replaced stocks have no number on the stock. The MAS 49 stock was hollow at the base and that is why it was stamped ABOVE the sling swivel. This gun was obviously rebuilt, or at the least refinished, so anything is possible, but it does not look right. It will probably be a good shooter, so have fun and don't worry about the numbers.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good point Deerhound 3, I did not enlarge the photo. The location the serial number the stock is odd and not normal for a Mas 36, and the numbers are also stamped irregular not like a normal Mas36. Maybe too much wine by our stamper on that day. Most Parked post war rebuilds do not have a cartouche or serial number on the stock. At least mine. I can not clearly see the numbers, but this is also a red flag. We do not see the serial numbers. I wonder if those stock stampings seem to large and have varying depth like each one was stamped individually?? They certaknly are not aligned. Something is rotten, and smells fishy. This may be a parts rifle?? I think I got a solution, it's a different stock from a Mas 36/51, Bingo!

I'd would look close at my photos in my link and then look at the serial number stamps very close. Also there are way too many correct Mas36s to mess with this critter. I just would be on the alert. The voice in my head says " Caution, Will Robinson" Jeffe best consider this a no go, or view it in person. Jeffe if you need some close-ups of stock serial numbers stamps and size I can get some photos. At that price, I'd say this is a specimen that is best avoided. If $200, then maybe?? I have never seen such an odd critter. ☠
Conclusion, a different replacement bolt and stock, so far. What else is odd?

That is a stock from a Mas 36/51 the serial number was in different spots due to a rubber pad. The 2 and 8 seem correct font. Does the wood match? Your rifle on the top photo, a Mas 36/51 on the bottom photo. But the same serial number from a different man 36/51??? Or did our French drunk stamper screw up and stamp it like it was a Mas 36/51 rather than a Mas 36 ?? Very odd. Your rifle is mix master mutt. Or did some faker make a mistake due to stupidity and stamped it wrong when faking up a rifle? :mad:
More likely because most rebuilds did not have the stock serial number. Me thinnest some clown wanted a number on a stock and put in the wrong location... but then the fonts seem correct.... ??????????????????
Too strange for my tastes.
Brown Photograph Tan Book Publication
Wood Brown Textile Khaki Tan

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,086 Posts
and here is another possibility ... when they re-built this rifle, they stamped it not caring about if the letters and numbers did not line up and the location of it as these were going into storage as reserve firearms. They might not have had the correct lettering and numbers from the original ones as production of the 36 stopped in 1957 and 36/51 in 1959.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have a matching 36/51 with walnut up front and it is stamped with the correct number. The stock is a hardwood replacement and unstamped. I would be inclined to think that the stock in question may have been a depot/armorer replacement and somebody numbered it in their garage. I have a Syrian 49 that looks the same. I have no doubt it was a "Home work shop" stamping. Allegedly the Syrians bought everything when they ordered the rifles, but how many have you seen with a replacement hardwood stock?. The French may have some strange ideas when it comes to firearms, but sloppiness is not one of them. Replace the stock with a brand new unlettered stock. They are still available. At least it will "Look" correct. Anybody would be suspicious at the way it looks now. I would try to bargain with the seller a little. That is not being cheap, it is practical.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Completely rebuilt does not mean new wood was added. I have often seen rebuilt rifles with mixed types of wood. The strange part about the original post's stock is that it has the inspection mark on the other side and a sloppy serial number at the wrong place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.