Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post this link in case there are any folks in the area. I stumbled across it the other day and signed on. There are some C&R collectors and shooters over there and it's a good local resource; http://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes, thank you! I've already registered. Should be a good rallying point to keep up on what the gun grabbers are up to (never a dull moment around here!).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thank you! I've already registered. Should be a good rallying point to keep up on what the gun grabbers are up to (never a dull moment around here!).
That's the point. UNITED WE STAND. It looks like we can getvsome good matches going if we try, too. This site has plenty of potential.

·
Registered
305 Posts
yes you can have guns in Maryland, BUT now you have to sign away you mental health records to the state for review to see if you are stable enough to own a gun! reason # 550 why " I left the state"

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes you can have guns in Maryland, BUT now you have to sign away you mental health records to the state for review to see if you are stable enough to own a gun! reason # 550 why " I left the state"
From what I gather on the Md Forum, this is only for handguns and certain "assault weapons", that the police do checks on anyway. It's not for C&R bolt guns, shotguns, etc..

·
Registered
305 Posts
this might be true, and it is. C&R or not, knowing that you have to surrender your mental health records is just stupid, i would say crazy, but then i could not own a hand gun in Md.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this might be true, and it is. C&R or not, knowing that you have to surrender your mental health records is just stupid, i would say crazy, but then i could not own a hand gun in Md.
They do need to clarify this some. Some places won't let you own a handgun, sane or not. I'm not thrilled at the path this is taking, but as I understand it the guns you could normally buy out of state are exempt, like bolt action rifles, shotguns, lever action rifles, etc.. I at first thought it meant ALL guns.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i hope this explain some things, found it on the net.

Gov. Martin O'Malley's administration has quietly issued a new gun purchase regulation that requires prospective buyers to sign a waiver releasing their mental health records to the Maryland State Police.
The rule, which came in response to the killings at Virginia Tech and took effect Aug. 1, is intended to help police determine whether someone should be prevented for mental health reasons from buying a gun. It would apply to people who have been ordered into treatment by a court or who have checked into a state psychiatric hospital for at least 30 days.
"We're trying to keep people who the law says can't buy a gun from buying one," said Greg Shipley, a state police spokesman. "This will enable us to determine if you are telling the truth as far as state facilities are concerned."
Maryland's gun laws are among the nation's strictest, with a seven-day waiting period, a training requirement for buyers and relatively tough regulations on issuing permits to carry a firearm. And where a potential buyer's mental health is concerned, state law is more restrictive than the federal standard.
Federal law prohibits gun sales to people who have been judged "mentally defective," which includes people determined by a court or other legal authority to be a danger to themselves or others as a result of mental illness. In Maryland, police are also directed to deny a permit to someone whose mental or social functioning is "substantially impaired," making treatment "necessary or advisable."
Someone whose state of mind is at issue can buy a gun in Maryland after obtaining a note from a doctor declaring that person to be in good mental health. But some suggest that liability concerns will discourage psychiatrists from certifying patients.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh The Media....

It's like their accounts of "assault weapons", what this article DOESN'T mention is that this is for regulated arms that take a 7 day waiting period anyway. Regulated are pistols and certain long guns like AK's or AR's. Do you believe EVERYTHING you read in the paper? This at first had me wondering. Then checked over at the Md. Forum and got the rest of the story.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well I could have just copy and past the whole story but that would have been a big thread. I thought I would just post some highlights. Regardless of what you read and what you believe, ask yourself this. Would you sign over your mental health records to the state police just to own a handgun? I do think that this is the whole story in a nutshell. Just passing some information, not bashing Maryland as the residents there are doing enough of that, just pointing out that if we as gun collectors do not pay attention to what our elected officials are doing, then we too could see this action if not something more stupid be imposed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for posting the link, tedly2. While the atmosphere here in Maryland does tend towards firearms-hostile, shooting sports and gun-related hobbies are alive and well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Actually there's still enough of us pro-2A people in Maryland and we tend to be active enough that we have managed to forestall a lot of the New Jersey/Cali style laws from being shoved down our throats over the years.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck here, it does. High crime, high taxes, high pollution and cancer rates, high cost of living. Liberal politicians from the murder capital of America, Baltimore City, and the uber-liberal DC suburbs own the state government. The rest of the state is pretty conservative, but we don't have the numbers to carry the day in elections. And we do have goofy gun laws. But I wanted to clarify a few things because I get tired of seeing ads all the time that read "we don't ship any guns to Maryland."

Things that don't suck so bad: At this point we can still own AK's and AR's and other evil creatures and buy hi-cap mags up to a 20 round capacity. There is a handgun roster of what can be brought into the state for sale but it's big and almost everything you might want is on it. It also only affects gun made after 1/1/85 so most C&R handguns aren't affected anyway. You can buy long guns not on the "assault weapons" list cash n' carry NICS. Maryland recognizes C&R licenses for long guns and handguns.

Things that suck: All handguns and listed "assault rifles" are called "regulated firearms" and have a seven day wait and require a separate background check from the state police. All "assault pistols" (AR pistols, MAC-10, Uzi pistol, etc.) not registered with the state before 1994 are strictly verboten. The real pain in the ass though is the shell casing law for new handguns. That makes it just about impossible to buy a lot of handguns new.

The mental health waiver is required for handguns and "assault rifles" but that basically only applies to state and government institutions where someone may have been confined, and confined for over 30 days in a row. The waiver does not grant the state police access to private doctors or institutions. The state doesn't tell people this though, I guess it helps scare people off from applying to buy a handgun. I honestly think they like having everybody whose ever been to stress counseling or a marriage therapist thinking they can't buy a gun or have to surrender their privacy to the state police to do it.

Personally, I retire in exactly 4 years as of today and I can't wait to leave this shithole and move to Florida :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
i left Maryland and never looked back. i wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I can!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Texas, Georgia, Virginia, it all looks good to me!! Probably end up in Tampa/St. Pete, Florida though, that's where the wife likes it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Good luck zoostation, I left Bawlamure in 1979 & it was the smartest move I ever made, for all the reasons you mentioned in your second paragraph. Do you still have to fill out a triplicate application to purchase handguns & wait for the approval of the Geheime Staat Polizei?

We'll leave the door open for ya down here in Hurricane Central .......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts