Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find a .303 martini rifle cleaning rod?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't believe they were ever issued, DD want to step in here?
Mike

·
Administrator
3,940 Posts
Your .303 made in 1901 never had a cleaning rod. Cleaning rods were with drawn from service many years before.

Would by any chance your .303 made in 1901 also say VR? If so it very likely is a counterfeit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your .303 made in 1901 never had a cleaning rod. Cleaning rods were with drawn from service many years before.

Would by any chance your .303 made in 1901 also say VR? If so it very likely is a counterfeit.
Says "VR Enfield 1872" on right side, "VR B.E. Co 1900" on left side. Rods were withdrawn from service? So it is correct without a rod?

·
Administrator
3,940 Posts
Yes that is correct it never had a clearing rod as a .303.

You Action is very interesting and would make an interesting novelty to a collector. 1st year of production on one side and and last year of production in Victoria range on the other.

·
Registered
408 Posts
10 Sep. 2007
2:45pm

The early MER mk. I rifles, first issued in the mid-1890s, were issued with rods, which were the same as the rods on the contemporary long Lee-Enfield rifles. These rods were later removed in 1899.

As for the MER mk. IIs, first issued in serious numbers in 1900, the interesting thing is that the foreends continued to be made with a channel for the rod, but the rod nut was not fitted, making it impossible to install the rod (it just falls out w/o a nut to screw into).

Just an interesting FYI.

Coggansfield

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a MER MkI 1895 (not KP). If I have remembered correctly, these rifles were issue with half a cleaning rod, and had to buddy up to screw together a rod. Is the pattern the same as the MLE cleaning rod? If so, does anyone know who makes repro ones?
Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that is correct it never had a clearing rod as a .303.

You Action is very interesting and would make an interesting novelty to a collector. 1st year of production on one side and and last year of production in Victoria range on the other.
It has Australian property marks also. Really nice one. Victoria State. Stock has never been sanded.

·
Registered
408 Posts
12 Sep. 2007
10:10am

That's right, Rob, it's a half-length rod. The MLM mk. II and the MLE rods are the same. Last year at a gun show, I bought a couple of repro ones from John Denner, the Canadian dealer. He said he had no more, but I don't know if he meant with him at the show or ever in eternity. Why not drop him an e-mail? He's at http://www.denner.ca.

All the best,

Coggansfield

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12 Sep. 2007
10:10am

That's right, Rob, it's a half-length rod. The MLM mk. II and the MLE rods are the same. Last year at a gun show, I bought a couple of repro ones from John Denner, the Canadian dealer. He said he had no more, but I don't know if he meant with him at the show or ever in eternity. Why not drop him an e-mail? He's at http://www.denner.ca.

All the best,

Coggansfield
I wonder if Denner was getting them from Gary Baron in Montreal. He stopped making them and decided to keep the money of the people with orders pending, including me. Burned me for $60.00.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I was sent these pics of the MER cleaning rod, which may be helpful.

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Rather odd about Gary Baron burning someone. I bought several clearing rods from him and he made a new forend and handguard for a NZ pattern carbine for me.
I have heard he had some serious medical problems and went out of the repo business.
Possibly he is no longer around?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts