Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on IMA's website. Does anybody have this book? I'm looking for a good reference for Martinis, ala The Lee Enfield for Enfield collectors.

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 08/22/2006 : 11:27:42 AM

The Martini-Henry Note-Book
THE LIFE AND TIMES OF A GRAND OLD RIFLE
by
Malcolm Cobb

There is a new Martini book coming out very soon that sounds like the Martini book we have all been looking for

So far I have seen only the Preface and table of contents. Hopefully later this week I will be able to review the entire manuscript. For now here is the dedication, opening paragraph of the preface and the table of contents.

DEDICATION
This book is dedicated to the community of Martini-Henry enthusiasts of three centuries and four continents, who builded better than they knew.

Here they come, black as hell and thick as grass.

Front rank, don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes.

Rear rank, reload and always remember that even though the Martini Henry rifle is a .450 Boxer-Henry Short chamber miracle, there is nothing like a bayonet with a bit of guts behind it.

Stirred but not shaken, that's us with our Martinis.

Spit lad,spit.

And if you don’t know what that is all about, you had better read this book.

PREFACE
Pick it up. Feel the weight of the solid steel and walnut. Thumb open the breech and appreciate the sharp click of precision machinery. Check the Mark and the date of
manufacture on the side and wonder how it has survived the intervening century or so.
Mount the rifle to the shoulder and align the sights. Wonder who has fired this rifle before? British soldier?, Rhodesian colonist? Indian sepoy? Who has been caught in the sights? Zulu Warrior? Afghan tribesman?.

What story could it tell if only it could speak?

CONTENTS

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

PREFACE

1) A SHORT HISTORY OF THE 19th CENTURY
Warfare in Victorian times
Muzzle loading battles
Tactics in the muzzle loading era
The viewpoint from mid-century
The example of the American Civil War
The tipping block breechloader appears
19th Century statistics
The English gun trade 1850– 1865
The Volunteer movement
The match rifle reigns supreme

2) THE COMMITTEE CHOOSES A BREECHLOADER
The state of rifle design in 1865
Designing the next generation of breechloaders
Muskets converted to breechloaders
Breech-loading designs move into their next phase
Sir Joseph appears
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
The Army Trials of 1864
Trials from 1865—1867
The Prize Competitions
Where to next ?

3) GETTING IT RIGHT
Mass production and general issue to the troops
Warfare in the 1880’s
The Frontier war of 1878
The Gun War of 1878
The Zulu War of 1879
The Transvaal War of 1880 - 81
Developments around the Empire
4) MEANWHILE, IN THE REST OF THE WORLD
Production of the Martini by others
The Martini becomes obsolescent
Final flowering—The .303 Martini Enfield
Minature Martinis
Martinis after the First World war
More modern times

5) ORIGINAL AMMUNITION
No foregone conclusions in 1867
Moving on from paper cases
Paper cases with self contained ignition
Mr Daw makes strides
Colonel Boxer takes over
The .450” Long Chamber round
The .450” Short Chamber folded case
The Henry bullet
Obsolete chamber design
Other kinds of ammunition
The Martini enters the 20th century

6) BALLISTICS AND WOUND EFFECT

PART 1 : BASIC BALLISTICS
Just how effective was the Martini- Henry ?
Ancient weights and measures
Air resistance and gravity
Hose pipe ballistics
Hits on the target : understanding statistics
Other factors affecting performance
Comparative ballistics
Bullet temper & bullet shape
Sectional density and form factor
Short range ammunition
Short range instability

PART 2 : WOUND EFFECT
.75 Calibre musket balls
.58 Calibre bullets
Records from Victorian firing squads
.45 Calibre hard lead bullets
Wound cavities
Coping with wounds
19th Century examples of wounding
Mental state and body condition
Further developments in wounding power

7) BAYONETS FOR THE MARTINI

8) MARKINGS AND FITTINGS
Markings on Martinis
Common British markings
Martini accessories

9) THE MARTINI HENRY IN THE ZULU WAR OF 1879
A conventional history of the Battle of Isandhlwana
Alternative viewpoint : what lies were told ?
Notes on Firearms used in the battle
Ammunition expenditure and wounds
Range and aiming
Ammunition expenditure in the Zulu war
Zulu casualties
Fouling, jams and using the feet
Fouling ie the residue left in the barrel
Mr Richards causes confusion
Learn to love your quartermasters
Alternative uses for ammunition
The eclipse of the sun at 1: 15 pm
Other battles of the war :
Rorke’s Drift & Kambula
Zulu firearms at Rorke’s Drift
Kambula : 29 March 1879
Dabulamanzi and Zulu weapons handling
Remaining minor scandals of the Zulu war

10) HUNTING WITH THE MARTINI
Origins of the hunting rifle
Big bores for big game
Stalking rifles
Typical ballistics
Miniature Martini shooting
Combination guns

11) MANUFACTURING MODERN AMMUNITION
Get your Martini shooting
First Problem - Bullets
Dimensions of Henry barrels
Casting bullets
Lead Alloys
Pouring lead
Problems with pure lead
Lubrication
Diesel effect
Grease cookies
Paper patching
Second Problem - Cartridge cases
Problems with drawn cases
Alternatives to commercial dies
So why do Martinis work with different bullets ?
Optimum fit
Choices to be made
Masking up tape
Chamber sleeves
Modern suppliers
Turned cases
Annealing cases
Case capacity
Negative view on nitro powders
Third Problem - Powders
Fourth Problem : Two kinds of loads
Tests of South African Nitro powders
The Bottom Line : Eliminating the variables

12) SHOOTING YOUR MARTINI
Assembly and disassembly
Cleaning and inspection of the bore
Barrel removal
Other ideas for improving barrels
Bulged chambers
The muzzle of the rifle
Faults in the rifle : trigger, stock and sights
Extractors
Firing pins
Cleaning Black Powder firearms
Tips on target shooting
And finally

BIBLIOGRAPHY

The book is currently at the printers in South Africa. Release date is not set but soon.. US and Australia editions will follow. As soon as I find out where you guys can get the book, I will pass the information on.
DD

That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it an pass it on with pride. It deserves it....Malcolm Cobb The Martini-Henry Note-Book.

BillOregon
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
198 Posts
Posted - 08/22/2006 : 12:42:44 PM
Yes! I want a copy.

fred2892
Gunboards Member

United Kingdom
52 Posts
Posted - 08/22/2006 : 4:29:34 PM

Me Me Me Me Me, Christmas is early this year. No mention of a UK edition DD, when it happens please let us know of a South African distributor that will post. Thanks,
FredBut the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. T.E.Lawrence

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 08/22/2006 : 9:07:35 PM

UK publisher has not been determined, but most likely coming.
DD

That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it an pass it on with pride. It deserves it....Malcolm Cobb The Martini-Henry Note-Book.

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 08/25/2006 : 01:03:43 AM

DD

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 08/27/2006 : 11:02:50 AM

I have here beside me a draft of Malcolm’s book.

Wow I like it, I like it very much! His writing style is absolutely fabulous. Earthy, real and he doesn't talk down to us, he is one of us! It's like we are sitting down at the shooting bench and between shots he is telling us a story. I love it. Great work Malcolm!!

Here’s what I mean with this passage from how to pull a Martini barrel:

quote: …Take the grip on the action at the solid place where the barrel screws in. Do not take a grip further back on the thin walls as they will collapse. Do not try unbarrelling by putting a square bar or any other bar through the action opening, you will just collapse the side walls. If you want a Martini action with collapsed side walls I will send you one of mine, and then we will both know that this is good advice.

And whatever else you do, don't forget to take the bloody extractor out first. In its forward position it sits tight in the barrel, locking it immovably in place. I have met worthies who have described Homeric death struggles in removing Martini barrels and produced the evidence in the form of extractor hooks mangled as tormented as souls in Hell are said to be. Obviously, they took the barrel off with the extractor still in place. I would have thought it impossible but I have seen it done.

Of course there are things in Malcolm’s book I do differently, but not many. I do disagree with him on a few things, but that is what makes life interesting. I only see one thing that I believe is incorrect and I can see why he says what he does, so he might not be incorrect.

Of course there is a bunch of “I didn't know that" or "so that's how that is done" in the book. And he does not fail to leave out those sage words of wisdom, "don't do this when the wife is home" Brilliant, just brilliant, no wiser words have been written.

You Guys are going to love this book!!!

DD

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 08/27/2006 : 12:59:41 PM

This is to good to not add:

quote: A plea to the gentlemen who make the proprietary brands of cleaning patches. ( This is Durban South Africa) Please do not muck about with the 4 x 2 sold in boxes at the gunshops. A couple of years back we could get strong lint free material which was perfect. Us Black Powder shooters had special jags cut for our cleaning rods which took a patch straight out of the box and slid down the bore without further ado, which was a great time saver in competitions. Now we are fobbed off with this flimsy stretch cloth which is made from the same material as feminine underwear.

It doesn't work. If we are to shoot with tetters of ladies knickers, let it be strong, no nonsense Victorian knickers and none of this modern degenerate rubbish.
DD

singleshotman
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
251 Posts
Posted - 08/27/2006 : 2:09:17 PM

i have removed a VERY TIGHT Remington Rolling Block Barrel by holding the barrel and then putting a piece of 1" Drill Rod machined to fit the breech and it WAS very tight but it came off-i needed to rechamber the barrel and shorten it because of bad pits in the chamber. How Do You
Remove a Martini-Henry Barrel then? I have a Sporter that will need to be lapped to shoot at all or a new barrel fitted. I've lapped lots of barrels in 40 years of experence, but you can't lap from the muzzle end, always from the breech end-esp. with taper rifling like the Martini-Henry has got.To lap or replace will need to pull the barrel, how?james a pickup

singleshotman

USA
251 Posts
Posted - 08/27/2006 : 2:19:05 PM

Forgot to add about cleaning patches made from polyster-we have the same problem in the USA, cleaning patches made from nylon don't work like crap with Blackpowder.Do what i did-cut up old 100% cotton undershirts or go to the Ladies Fabric store or Wal-Mart and buy 100% cotton flannel and cut patches yourself, i have been doing this for years and i yard of flannel will last me a year of cleaning patches, also it's a lot cheaper. Of course they will wonder why you're there, but you only have to go once a year.james a pickupgert10

456 Posts
Posted - 08/27/2006 : 3:03:16 PM

SS,
I would imagine something clamping on the action at the outside at the receiver ring, where the barrel is threaded, and then turning the action off the receiver with an extension to that clamp. So, doing it from the outside instead of the inside. Then again, I'm not a 'smith, so this is worth whatever you paid for it...

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 08/27/2006 : 11:27:10 PM

James post a new thread on how to pull a barrel and another explaining how to make patches. This software doesn't allow splitting out topic drift into new topics.

DD

Boz330
Gunboards Member

USA
76 Posts
Posted - 08/29/2006 : 09:33:25 AM

Thanks DD, Talked to David this morning about the manuscript. He is going to be in Frienship at the ML nationals the weekend of Playday but didn't see any reason that we couldn't take a look at it. It ought to pretty dogeared by the time he gets it back. I might have to chain this thing down from the response so far. But I'll have it all to myself for a couple days. HEHEHEHE!!!!!

Bob

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 10/09/2006 : 05:54:03 AM

I have just finished the cover to cover read of Malcolm Cobbs Martini Henry Handbook.

Malcolm last paragraph is something we should think about:

quote: And don't forget. This isn't your Martini you have . It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it and pass it on with pride. It deserves it.
DD

Boz330
Gunboards Member

USA
76 Posts
Posted - 10/09/2006 : 08:55:09 AM

AMEN!

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 12/07/2006 : 12:17:29 PM

The book is out in South Africa!! Here is where you get it.

Zimbi Books
www.zimbibooks.com
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel/fax 012 3462326
Mobile: 0827822033 (Debbie)
P.O. Box 36446
Menlo Park
0102 South Africa

Here is the order information:

The price of the book in South Africa is R430 including postage and to the USA the book alone is R395 plus insured or registered airmail R225 (transit time 2 weeks). Insured surface mail to the USA will cost R125.00 (but the transit time is 12 weeks)

The Book will be distributed by Safari Press http://www.safaripress.com/home.php in the U.S. and should be released in about a month.

I don't have the UK or AU distributors yet. I will post them as soon as get them.
DD

Gregg
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
830 Posts
Posted - 12/07/2006 : 6:41:10 PM

How much would that be in US dollars?
GreggGregg

fallingblock
Starting Member

9 Posts
Posted - 12/07/2006 : 8:33:28 PM

About $100.00 shipped. Depending on the dqy.
FallingblockLuke 22:36
Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 12/07/2006 : 11:04:01 PM

To the U.S the Book is R395 or $ 55.99 and postage R225 or $36.12.

A good Currency converter to save to your favorites http://www.xe.com/ucc/DD

KevinP In UK
Gunboards Premium Member

United Kingdom
191 Posts
Posted - 12/08/2006 : 10:29:10 AM

Well it seems thta the British Army still uses the old flannel type cloth like the 4x2 was but in a smaller size for teh 5.56mm as I brought a roll from my local surplus place the other week. Hmm better go back and see if they have any more rolls
Come visit me at British Rifles..http://p223.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm4

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 01/23/2007 : 11:04:25 AM

Kevin,

Did you post in the wrong topic?DD

fred2892
Gunboards Member

United Kingdom
52 Posts
Posted - 01/23/2007 : 5:23:27 PM

DD, I think Kevin was refering to your post above dated 08/27/2006 : 12:59:41 PM and singleshotmans reply. As to 4x2 being replaced with metric 45x45 for the 5.56, that is true unless you happen to be based where the gimpy is still used in which case good old 4x2 is most definately still available and still pukka flannelette.
Fred
But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. T.E.Lawrence

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 01/23/2007 : 11:39:38 PM

Thanks, I thought Kevin had lsot his mind, turns out it was me...DD

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 01/24/2007 : 11:04:26 AM

It's official Mike Stegen at GunBookSales http://www.gunbooksales.com/ will be distributing The Martini-Henry Note-book. Book is suppose go for $50 plus shipping. The deal just closed today so it may be about three or four weeks before Mike actually has the book. Get a hold of Mike now to reserve your copy.DD

fred2892
Gunboards Member

United Kingdom
52 Posts
Posted - 01/24/2007 : 4:14:26 PM

I just got off the phone to my brother, turns out he spent a very pleasant half hour today perusing the library of books at Zimbi Books while picking up my copy. He's still got another couple of weeks in Pretoria before bringing it home to me.
So near and yet so far.
Ho Hum.
Fred.But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. T.E.Lawrence

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 02/28/2007 : 12:04:28 AM

The Books are in!!

I just got this message from Mike Stegen Books:

quote: I just got the books this afternoon. Below is a variation of the reply I have been sending to emails I get from customers.

I'm just sending it to you so that we are all on the same page. Thanks for getting us together. Mike S.

Dear Sir;
Thank you for your inquiry. I now have Martini-Henry Notebooks in stock in Arizona.
The price of the book is $50.00 plus $6.00 for book rate shipping and insurance of fifty dollars. Insurance more than $50.00 dollars requires a signature on your end. I have had only one claim in fifteen years of selling books. For faster shipping 2 to 4 days Priority mail add $10.00 rather than $6.00. Shipping to Europe via air 7 to 10 day delivery would be about $25.00. Sorry at this time I don't take credit cards. I feel the Internet is getting less secure and not more secure. Unlike a large corporation, I don't have a team of attorneys the say to you "our system got hacked I hope you didn't get damaged'. If I don't have credit card numbers they can't get hacked. Please make checks or money orders out to Mike Stegen, 19030 N. 14th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85024, fyi phone 623.582.4475. I hope
this answers your questions, if not contact me.
Thanks again.
Mike Stegen,

Just a note. This shipment is the South African printed first edition. When these are sold out then the U.S. first edtion will be printed.

There will be book reviews coming out in the Single Shot Exchange and Single Shot Rifle Journal. Steve Garbe's magazine and the American Rifleman have also expressed an interest in printing a review. There are going to be a lot of people looking for this book.

So if you want the first first edition you better get your order in!
DD

kb466
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
223 Posts
Posted - 03/03/2007 : 3:34:17 PM

I just picked up my copy of the Martini Henry Notebook from Mike of Gunbook Sales at the Albuquerque, NM gunshow today. He has it in stock and it looks like a great book. I am anxious to start reading it.
Bill M.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts