Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only loaded more modern ammunition. I have almost everything I need to make some rounds but I cant seem to find any specifics on minimum OAL. Seating the bullet at the top just above the last lubed groove would give me a 3.04-3.05 overall length. Does it really matter if the lube groove is exposed to get the standard 3.12 OAL Or should I go ahead and keep it at the 3.05

·
Sponsor
953 Posts
No, I load mine with the top lube ring exposed. Not a problem if you are range shooting, but could be if you were slogging through the desert in the Sudan chasing fuzzie-wuzzies! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
To a certain extent it depends on which bullet you are shooting. Since virtually no one is shooting the original, which bullet you select may indicate either a longer or shorter OAL. If the goal is accuracy, you want to minimize the distance the bullet travels when fired prior to engaging the rifling. My favorite is the RCBS 465-480 bore riding design. OAL using this bullet is shorter since loading it to the original OAL would result in the bullet engaging the rifling before the cartridge is fully chambered. Similarly a more modern design can be loaded longer (as long as sufficiently seated in the case) since it's more severe taper won't engage the rifling.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If you use CBC cases,they are best left full length,which means the longer bullet has all the lubed surface inside the case neck,and away from grit.You also eliminate some of the jump from case to rifling.My limited survey of chambers indicate that cases up to 2.6" long fit.CBC cases come out about 2.5",depending on the reforming process.The large clearance in the throat is built in to avoid having the rifle jam in combat,which isnt good when there are lots of fuzzy wuzzies about.Regards John.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.