Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Martini Henry rifle that was converted into a shotgun for guard duty. I bought it from a gunsmith who was going to rebarrel it into a .45/70 but never got around to it. My question is are these collectable in this configuration? I paid $250 for it several years ago. It's disassembled in a box in storage at the moment so I can't readily take pictures.
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
The "Gaolers Gun " was a Martini Henry size action ,but if yours is a takedown in 12 ga or 12/14g ,then I suspect you have the larger Greener shotgun,maybe the Egyptian Police Gun........however ,these police guns were used world wide ,and few years ago the Ramsi force confiscated a hundred or so and dumped them in the Pacific Ocean.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a converted Martini Henry with the crown GR and a date in the 1880s on the right side and a MK (don't know the number) if I remember correctly. As I pointed out in the first post I can't do pictures right now. It is disassembled and in storage. I thought I had it here when I started the post but I guess I don't.
Dan

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,115 Posts
If it is marked with a GR Cypher, then it can't be an 1880s gun. Either cypher or date would seem to be spurious. For that matter, I don't THINK any M-Hs were acquired by the War Department after Victoria Regina et Imperatrix died, so unlikely to have any with George's cypher. Something doesn't quite fit.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's my memory going I guess. I haven't seen it in a year or more and was going by memory. I have been looking at my Enfield trainer and guess I had a brain drain. I'll say no more about it until I can lay my hands on it and look it over again.
Dan

Reactions: DisasterDog

·
Administrator
4,014 Posts
Yes there is some mild collectors interest in these guns. . Where the price is I don't know. . Certainly more than when you bought it. Put it back together. Figure out how to load for it. Enjoy a piece of history.

Most likely your cypher VR if it's an 1880's gun.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've found the bag of parts so now I need to find the action & stock. It's hell to get old, forgetfull, half deaf, & near blind.
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I found it. There is a crown over VR with the date 1886 under that and IV under the date. Anyone have a picture of what the cartridge looks like? What is the correct nomenclature for this weapon? It's gotten a little rust here and there. I'm going to clean it up and reassemble it before I take pictures. Now all I need to do is find the stock.
Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts