Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Martini Henry from IMA about 10 years ago and all in all it was in decent shape excellent bore except the forearm. I have been looking on Gunjoker ever since then for an original forearm with no luck. I would buy the new stock set but I am horrible working with wood and plus I only need the forearm. I would really like to get the rifle up and running. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Which MK MH do you have and what is wrong with the forearm?

Not a lot of forestocks around for this Gun. Have you tried http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/ ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an Enfield 1878 Mark II short lever. The forearm has rotted wood on both sides near the receiver and around both pins. The under side of the forearm from the rear band to the receiver is completely split open with about a quarter inch gap with a big chunk missing from the front. Like I said guessing it is not repairable unless someone is a master craftsman. I also made some new pins as they were completely rusted.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yes ,forends are hard to find,in any condition......I suggest you get some of the antique house repair epoxies ,and repair the rotted wood ......as for the gap ,you can either clean up the edges ,and insert a new wood patch ,or fill the entire gap with a product,and hide the surface with a veneer of real wood.......When repairing the retainer pin that has to match the barrel tab hole ,do one side at a time ,and use the barrel tab hole as a drilling jig .

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Drop me an email or PM.
I've got a butt and forend set I've had forever. A little rough, but all there.
I'm not sure which model, but I can send pics.
Ned

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drop me an email or PM.
I've got a butt and forend set I've had forever. A little rough, but all there.
I'm not sure which model, but I can send pics.
Ned
Ned not sure I could identify them. Could you post them up in this thread and let the experts weigh in?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Only two types ,one is held by a crosspin at the rear,later type has a tang inletted into the bottom adjacent to the reciever.......Not terribly difficult to convert one into the other..............OP says his is MkII,so he wants the crosspin type.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Below are photos of my Martinistock set.
The only metal on the forearm is the nose cap assembly (marked with a broad arrow) and the cleaning rod thing in the rear channel.
No metal on the butt stock.

I bought this set decades ago thinking I might have a use. Never did.

Dirty, dinged, but does not appear to be sanded.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The forend is for a MkII,and I also note it has a repair dowell for the crosspin hole,which seems to have fallen out on one side.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Most times what folks are calling dowel repairs are actually plug repairs. Dowels show end grain while plugs show surface grain. Makes a huge difference appearance-wise.
A dowel can be capped with a plug to be matched to the surrounding surface. Dowels tend to be structurally stronger but will always show up as being a repair.

For that crosspin hole, a walnut plug cut from a piece of similar walnut can have the hole chased through from the opposite side. Then the plug can be flushed to the surface and carefully dyed to match.
Used to be one could find sportered take-off stocks of Italian walnut (dirt cheap) for cutting patches with proper grain orientation.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Theres the funny thing ,JB.....walnut has never been more plentiful ,and the trees are often burnt now,as the wood seems to have no value ,unless its XXXX 100 year old fancy grain from a Turkish mountain top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts