Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came into possession of a Martini-Enfield (.303 British), and as the pictures show, the fitted part of the butt stock is damaged, which causes it to wiggle. I have yet to fire it, and would rather wait until it's fixed to do so.

Does anyone here have experience with this? Advice?

Many thanks.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
97,071 Posts
Not uncommon. BEST solution is get a new stock and fit it. I have had that problem though not on a Martini. Mine was a top-break single shottie. And I managed to get a replacement (thanks, Tony) out of a 'smith's barrel of take-off stocks that NEARLY fit. A bit of work with a rasp and file got the thing fitted and all was well after some BLO.

Alternative would be to take stock off and fit in a nice piece of light-colored walnut for the deteriorated part, and inlet it to fit the socket. Then - finish to match. Another way to go is soak the deteriorated part with one of the epoxies intended to repair rotted wood and then inlet.

·
Administrator
3,980 Posts
That looks rotted. You my able to glass bed to splice in new wood to fix. You also might be able repair using wood rot epoxy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the suggestions. If I were to go the epoxy repair route, are there any recommended brands? And what would be the safest way to go about removing the stock?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts