Gunboards Forums banner

Martini cadet range report

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  chester 
#1 ·
I took my Australian Martini Cadet re-barrel in 30-30 Winchester to the range today. Boy does it kick like a mule. I did used my Packmary slip on recoil pad but it still kicks hard. I use two type of 30-30 ammo. Remingtion 150 GR. core-lokt SP and Winchester 170 GR. Power-Point (S.P.). Since this the first time I shot this gun I put the targets on the 25 yard line. My first round hit the target bullseye. The next one hit just below the first one. After that because of the hard kicking recoil, the groups started to open up. Here's the best two targets.

Remington 150 GR. The Martini Caded like this load the best.

Winchester 170 GR.

Now that I know that this gun can shoot, I'll be reloading some lighter loads for it and getting some cartidge conversion insert for it too.

Mid-age

See less See more
#2 ·
My 32 Win Spl conversion provided similar results, at both ends. Handloading with 125 grain bullets at around 1800 fps made it less brutal, followed by restoration to 310, which made it MUCH pleasanter to shoot. I would suggest hand-loading your 30-30 to a milder level, and you will find it MUCH nicer.

#8 ·
Mine has interesting history, inferable from examination. BSA gun, originally went to Victoria. Professioanlly converted using a take-off barrel from a Winchester Model 75 recahmbered to .218 Mashburn Bee and fitted with a Weaver K-8 scope. Cocking indicator removed for some reason, and receiever drilled and tapped to allow a reciever sight (not still present) to be fitted - I would surmise that was done prior to the conversion the hot little varmint round. Butt-stock is the original, but refinished and the butt-plate replaced with a black plastic take-off from a Savage. Fore-end is a beautiful piece of walnut a bit fatter than the issue fore-end, but far from a target-style beaver-tail. All and all a light sporter, much in the idiom of a rook rifle except for the chambering and sight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.