Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded for a really nice Martini Cadet that was rechambered to 32 winchester special. Is it safe to fire factory ammo in these? Is there anyone here that has one, that they reload for? I am new to this board so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. :crossfingers:

·
Administrator
9,626 Posts
.32 WSp is a bit "over the top" in a Martini Cadet, as the Length of a Loaded .32 Spec. can make it difficult to load, and also difficult to extract (The extractor teeth have to be widened to accommodate the larger case and rim.)

Has the Groove in the Block been deepened? (Milled or Ground out) to give more clearance for the Larger Cartridge? Here in Australia, all sorts of "Conversions" of the Cadet have been tried, usually changing the odd calibre barrel to a new one ( although .32/20 WCF will fire reasonably well in a Cadet once rechambered for the Longer shell, with thicker rim.). Attempts to change to the 30/30 type case (even the smaller calibres, such as 25/35 etc,) have Mechanical difficulties.

The Higher Pressures in these cases will also lead to Receiver Wall stretching, and increased Head space. Has the Firing Pin Hole been "Bushed" and recut?.

Commonest conversions are (were) .222Rim, .32/20, .25/20. .218 Bee, .22 Hornet and improveds, .357 Magnum. And some ".310 Wildcats" ( .357/310 etc.); .316 Jacketed bullets were available here (Super and Rivberbrand) up to 40 years ago.

Back in WW II, the Cadet was considered useful enough to have .310 FMJ ammo made for it, in case of Japanese Invasion (for VDF)... in the actuality, they were never called on for an active Combat role.

Light loads only, cast bullets.

Doc AV

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have several stock Cadet rifles and one rebored to .357 mag and one rechambered to .32 Win Special. I have shot the .32 Win about 100 rounds with factory Remington ammo. There is no problem loading or ejecting. The .32 Win round has a long neck that helps the loading. By pressing on the middle of the brass when the shell is on the loading block pushes the block down and allows the shell to be loaded. The pressure is low enough that the firing pin does not need to be bushed. This round shoots about 2 feet higher than the point of aim and the twist is too slow for the .32 Special bullets.I got 4 to 5 inch groups 100 yards.
Go shoot it and have fun.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,494 Posts
Some 40 years ago I got a Cadet that had been rechamberd to 32 Win Spl. It worked fine, though had to Depress the lever while loading to get the (over long) round chambered. Ejected OK if the lever was worked briskly to snap the empty out. No pressure signs, no problems indicative of needing a bushed firing pin. BUT - the damp thing was as unpleasant a gun to shoot with factory ammo as i have ever owned. The combination of the narrow, steel butt-plate, the recoil inherent in the 170 grain bullet at over 2000 fps in a light rifle and the stock geometry all added up to a gun that hurt to shoot.

I developed some loads using .318'' spitzers for I-bore 8mm Mausers (120 grain IIRC) that worked OK, but I was never happy with that rifle until i found a NOS 310 barrel and restored it to original configuration. I will try to find the load data, but am not at all sure the light .318" bullets are still to be had.

·
Administrator
9,626 Posts
Cast Bullet Engineering (CBE) of Newcastle ( Aust) makes Proper .316 Mould blocks for the Cadet cartridge, both the Heeled Version ( original Lead Bullet) and a spitzer cast version ( not heeled).
They do Email sales...

Doc AV

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have two of these rifles. Recoil is stout. It does however, make for a very light,accurate brush deer rifle. The action is very strong. I have never seen nor heard of one failing. The .32 WSPL was a common conversion in the 60's

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
One still has the original .310 adjustable sight. It shoots just a little high at 50 yards but shoots to the point of aim at 150 yards. The marks on the sight are very close if you use a 150 grain bullet. A 125 grain bullet really zips out of this little rifle.
The other barrel has Lyman sight and a very tall front sight. It still shoots high and a 6 o'clock hold is needed.
Years ago I tried the Remington 'Accelerator" sabot 22 bullet and had good accuracy at 100 yards. 3,400 fps was reachable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This little rifle is sounding better all the time. Would you have any starting loads?
One still has the original .310 adjustable sight. It shoots just a little high at 50 yards but shoots to the point of aim at 150 yards. The marks on the sight are very close if you use a 150 grain bullet. A 125 grain bullet really zips out of this little rifle.
The other barrel has Lyman sight and a very tall front sight. It still shoots high and a 6 o'clock hold is needed.
Years ago I tried the Remington 'Accelerator" sabot 22 bullet and had good accuracy at 100 yards. 3,400 fps was reachable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
posted a WTB, because I'm looking for a light little walkabout rifle to replace my 'vanished' 357 maxi shortened barrel cadet. I've seen several 32 special rechambered cadets, but I'm concerned about the 1in16 twist not working with factory and factory + velocity standard weight bullets in these. I can cast and even PP but don't need another slowpoke rifle. Need light to heavy like my 30-30s. Experienced comments would be nice. [I'm in Houston]

thanks.

·
99,494 Posts
posted a WTB, because I'm looking for a light little walkabout rifle to replace my 'vanished' 357 maxi shortened barrel cadet. I've seen several 32 special rechambered cadets, but I'm concerned about the 1in16 twist not working with factory and factory + velocity standard weight bullets in these. I can cast and even PP but don't need another slowpoke rifle. Need light to heavy like my 30-30s. Experienced comments would be nice. [I'm in Houston]

thanks.
I show factory twist for the .32 WS to be - 1 in 16. I had no accuracy problems with mine using factory ammo, other than if I'd shot it much, I'd have beat myself into a case of the flinches. I like it a LOT better since i restored it to .310 using a NOS BSA barrel and other missing bits (mostly from Numrich, though barrel came from SARCO).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Also, the bullet with so little spin rate is very unstable when it hits the target. Over penetration will not be a problem.

·
99,494 Posts
Thank you very much. I will stick to my original goal of getting another maxi or one rebarreled with correct caliber rifling twist..
1:16 IS the correct twist for .32 WS from the data I have on hand. Or at least the one used in factory arms when it was a common round. Standard loading was a 170 grain .320" bullet moving at 2250 fps. Its half-sibling the 30-30 (30 WCF) used a 1:12 twist for its .308" 150 grain (2390 fps) or 170 grain (2200 fps) factory loads.

I would think either a .357 Magnum or .357 Maxi would be, on the whole, a more satisfactory rifle on the Cadet platform than the 32 WS (mine was not satisfactory - it worked, it was accurate enough, but unpleasant; I now have a Cadet restored to .310 and another converted to .218 Mashburn Bee that are a lot better for my purposes. And nicer to shoot...).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you. slow twist and unpleasantly heavy recoil were the two 'problems' I read about the 32. maybe why the ones I've seen for sale are less expensive. I will work on being patient, pass on the 32, and wait for a suitable 357 maxi to show up, while I 'appreciate' my other shooters more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts