Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure what these markings meant this is my first Lithgow and im used to brit markings. All major parts matching. It is also dated 1920. It also has "MA43" under the sight leaf and "MA56" on the left side of the butt socket. Also has "S" under the butt socket. The gun was "F.T.R" and the stock has the ishapore screw.

·
Silver Bullet Member
476 Posts
Look like the normal Australian inspection and proof stamps, in the usual places.

MA is the abbreviation for Lithgow factory, OA for Orange factory.

If the rifle has seen Indian service, from what I've read, the "S" on the butt may refer to the stockbolt being fitted with a spring washer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Some British and Australian SMLE'S were sent to RFI to be refurbed. The ishapore screw is a reenforcement in the fore stock. The lithgow I have there cost me $150 and it needed lots of TLC but it came out fine.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,408 Posts
I have posted these scans before, but it's been awhile. So I thought I would share them again. Good info on the Lithgow markings.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,673 Posts
Good stuff, GI. I saved this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi im new to this site and i need a bit of help with determining what rifle i have

I have a Lithgow SMLE 1941 Mk3 But i am not sure What Number it is is it a NO.4 i am not sure. It does say MA ON THE GRIP OF THE STOCK DOES THIS MEAN IT WAS MADE AT LITHGOW

Any way could you please explain what Number my rifle is i know it is a 1941 Lithgow SMLE Mk3

Any info would be much appriciated

·
Copper Bullet member
2,669 Posts
Hello Luke. Pictures would help. Many of these were FTR'd in India. What kind of wood is the stock made out of? Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If your rifle is Lithgow made (has MA LITHGOW on the butt socket) then it is a No1 MkIII. Lithgow never produced the No4.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Luke. Sometime in the '20s the nomenclature of the rifles changed...can be confusing at first.

A quick primer:

SMLE and ShtLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) became No.1. BTW the earlier title signifies the two models the No.1 replaced. A longer rifle and a shorter carbine. Not referring to a short magazine, but a short(er) rifle.
P14 (Pattern of 1914) became No.3

Earlier rifle designs not in active service were not renamed. Later rifle designs typically just have the later Number title, well, that is until the 'L' series started and AFIK only the No.4 (T) rifle, a sniper, became a 'L' series upon conversion to 7.62 NATO. There was a stillborn L8 project involving No.4 conversions.

Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts