Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Site Contributor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have info about markings used in German World War 1 ersatz bayonets? I recently bought the one shown in attached photo and I am wondering about the markings. Back of the blade has "crown on top of stylized D" while filler in front of the handguard on right side of the bayonet has "S".

Jarkko

Scabbard Dagger Sabre Sword Blade

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Very very few Ersatz models have anything other than the inspection stamp on the spine, there is one ersoc that is marked (about the only one i have by coincidence) other than the Demag EB1 and EB2 models or the original blade markings on re used blades. Of course I am not includign those with the hilt markings and only those with blade marks

·
Site Contributor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. In fact I have a theory about the "S", but I wanted to check if there was another known possibility. Finnish Civil Guard (Suojeluskunta) used similar looking "S" as a property marking of sort in 1920's. These ersatz bayonets are relatively common here in Finland due to much of the Mosin-Nagant rifles sold by Germany to Finnish White Army during Finnish Civil War in year 1918, but this is the first one I have seen with "S"-marking.

Jarkko

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,904 Posts
Hello Gents,

I've seen several ersatz bayonets over the years that had individual letters stamped on them. I have always assumed that they may be tooling or assembly marks? Based on memory these letters generally, if not always, appeared somewhere on the crossguard?

I'll check my photo files and see if I can find any examples? Not Gothic and definitely NOT inspection or acceptance marks.

Regards,

JPS

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Can we get a picture of the S, it is possible it could be the mark for Stembridge who supplied guns and accessories for the film industry, I have an ersatz with the Stembridge mark along with several other modified movie props. Have a look at my movie page and comapare the S marking with those on there. They had literally thousands of blades of all sorts.

·
Site Contributor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I agree with Carl. Very neat to find this mark on an ersatz. :thumbsup:
Stembridge is certainly an interesting possibility. It seems quite unusual that the bayonet would have would have travelled from Germany to Finland via Hollywood, but I suppose anything is possible. BTW: This particular ersatz doesn't seem to have been modified in any way.

Jarkko

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I woudl like to do an article for one the SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors) on the Stembridge marked blades, if anyone has any and woudl be willing to let me use photographs of their pieces I woudl appreciate it an of course give full credit. You odnt make money for these articles as they are club magazines but it helps other colelctors to learn about ,ore esteric or unpublished itmes. Thanks in advance. I am alos alwyas interested ion picking up any models/conversiosn I dont have

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.