Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the quest to find my Grandfather a large ring Mauser action I came across quite the unusual K98 receiver today. It is an AR 41, no serial numbers on anything except maybe the trigger (which looks to be a 01 possibly), and in place a serial number there is this "P.PATR.7.9" marked on it. Is this some sort of ammo testing K98 or was it done postwar?
ss (2013-11-17 at 02.23.35).jpg
ss (2013-11-17 at 02.23.42).jpg
ss (2013-11-17 at 02.23.50).jpg

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I would guess that "P.PATR.7.9" is a reference to 8mm kurz ammunition. Whether or not it's authentic, I'm in no position to judge.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,684 Posts
It was probably unsafe to fire, P Patr would be platz patrone or blank ammo. Probably done postwar though which is why it's disassembled.. This is an old Reenactor trick, I've done it to unsafe rifles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kurz 33 Developmental Carbines with P.PATR.7.9 on the Receiver

Sorry for the necro-posting but in my readings I found out that Mauser had modified some P.Patr.7.9 marked Mod.98s for developing the Kurz 33 cartridge. Robert Ball has on page 405 of the fifth edition of his book "Mauser Military Rifles of the World” that there were apparently five rifles made to accept a different case length (from 33mm to 52mm) for the Kurz cartridge trials. Mr. Ball finishes his entry on the P.Patr.7.9 rifles by saying three of them were lost in a California warehouse fire and another is still in a California collection.

Jakeman664, do you still have the receiver assembly pictured in your original post?

In the quest to find my Grandfather a large ring Mauser action I came across quite the unusual K98 receiver today. It is an AR 41, no serial numbers on anything except maybe the trigger (which looks to be a 01 possibly), and in place a serial number there is this "P.PATR.7.9" marked on it. Is this some sort of ammo testing K98 or was it done postwar?
View attachment 718466
View attachment 718467
View attachment 718468

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Dale,
I didn't end up buying this. I forget where I saw this, way back in 2013 I only checked Gunbroker I think so probably on there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Dale,
I didn't end up buying this. I forget where I saw this, way back in 2013 I only checked Gunbroker I think so probably on there.

Thank you for getting back to me on this. The reason for the query is that I have a rifle with a receiver that very closely matches the receiver shown in the original post. There are visible differences between them that makes me sure that they are not the same assembly. I was just being optimistic that I had uncovered a new bit of info on my mystery rifle.
1.jpg 2.jpg 44.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kurz 33 Developmental Carbines with P.PATR.7.9 on the Receiver

I've been informed that the "V" stamped in the stock's butt could indicate that this rifle is experimental and that it has been converted to be able to fire the 8mm Kurz cartridge. (The rifle is currently being inspected by a gun smith)

7.jpg
6.jpg
27.jpg
101.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts