Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a nice original gun. Not many of these are around. It has a 1-19 barrel date, EHD boxed cartouche and has moderate stock wear with beautiful black Park and a bright bore that gauges 1.1. It also has some strange cartouches I am not familiar with and has an A stamped on the barrel below the date. I heard somewhere this A was an approval mark on earlier Springfields. I can report with a high degree of conviction this gun never went through any overhaul/rebuild during it's life. The cartouches could be USN marks???? I'm hoping someone has seen these markings before or simply knows what they are. Regards, Rick.

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B 3
are Greek markings i believe..
A is an acceptance mark..
look for a B on the floorplate...
No B on floorplate just a tiny v on the inside. I don't believe those markings are Greek......no import marks on the rifle. I don't think it was ever out of the US in it's life unless it was on a USN ship......but of course I could be wrong. I was told JB inspected this rifle.....at least pictures. Regards, Rick.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. A J5 would be correct.

And my mistake. A Mark-I could have either a straight or swept bolt handle.
Yes, especially ones made/assembled during this period of chaos shortly after the sudden end of the war. Contractors were scrambling to fill orders with everything on hand. Nothing is written in concrete.....just look at some of the barrel dates and SN combinations. The Army didn't even know which battle weapon was going to be chosen as many considered the M1917 a superior rifle and by golly, in many ways it is!

I sure would like to find out the origins of those strange cartouches. Regards, Rick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.