Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
Buy the way his "seat" appears to me to be ammo crates for the woodpecker machine gun I think.
Ed, the T-92 crates I've seen are built quite differently from these. The writing I can see does say Type 2 something or other and it looks like 25 pieces of whatever is in them.
Cool photo!

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,203 Posts
What gets me, is all the crap that he has !! The US Military continues to send these guys into combat with so much crap, that they are automatically at a disadvantage , being weighted down with misc. crap like the cleaning kit attached to his pack,[Isn't there one in the stock of the gun ??] . That stupid "Flak Vest " in VN was the worst. It didn't do anything, stop anything and just wiped you out, dragging it around because some needle dicked LT said it was "Regulation" !! Personally, having been shot at, I'd say he was making a very good target of himself. That makes me think it's a posed picture. Nice shot by the way of all the gear and the boxes.
Having just read a book on Iwo, I have to say that , it was one hell of a fight. Nothing we had ,besides the USMC, could win the battle. Tanks, planes, and even the Navy ships, all failed to dislodge the Japanese. It was nothing but a slug fest with too many dead Americans. Just MHO, BB

·
Copper Bullet Member
124 Posts
When I read the book on Iwo Jima by Richard Newcomb I was amazed that the thousands of bombs and shells dropped on such a small area had virtually no effect on the entrenched Japanese troops. It's been over ten years since I read the book and I was thinking of reading it again.

·
Registered
19,313 Posts
I won't second guess this. THe Marine has a partial bandoleer on the crate next to him, I'd say he is on outpost duty
IMO.

Must be early in the fight for Iwo, he still has most of his gear and his uniform is not tattered. Later weeks of the battle , they just had the ammo belt with poncho rolled on rear of it ... going light as heck and carrying lots of ammo.

·
Registered
19,313 Posts
That is a ram rod cleaning kit on his pack. If you zoom up the photo, you can see the guy on the far side has a M1A1 Thompson submachine gun. THe Marine on the ammo crates does appear to have a weeks growth beard: photo has to be shot about 2nd week of the battle. Like most marines, they stencil everything. His helmet and E Tool carrier have his name stenciled on it. Sure looks to be named Martini .

Hope he made it back safe and had a great life.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a ram rod cleaning kit on his pack. If you zoom up the photo, you can see the guy on the far side has a M1A1 Thompson submachine gun. THe Marine on the ammo crates does appear to have a weeks growth beard: photo has to be shot about 2nd week of the battle. Like most marines, they stencil everything. His helmet and E Tool carrier have his name stenciled on it. Sure looks to be named Martini .

Hope he made it back safe and had a great life.
That's a .30 caliber Browning cleaning rod pouch and kit. I have one just like it in my basement. I use it when I clean my semi auto A4

·
Banned
1,487 Posts
Buy the way his "seat" appears to me to be ammo crates for the woodpecker machine gun I think.[/QUOTE]

looks more like boxes for fuses

·
Administrator
9,610 Posts
Having the Browning M1919A4 Cleaning kit means one of two things...he was the #2 on a 1919, or he was what the Marines always are...Self-Motivated ( to clear his own rifle from Jams)...the Butt trap Pull-though won't remove a stuck case or torn extractor rim. case.)

Doc AV
(in six years in Service, I carried an M60 kit, not for the "Pig", but for my L1A1... ( scrounged, naturally)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed the 1917 trench knife as well........not a knife in the true sense.
I wouldn't want to get stuck or punched by one......I wonder if it was handed down from a WWI family member vet or just a private purchase. Can't have been issued.......right?
My thoughts exactly. Maybe his father brought it back from WWI and gave or mailed it to his son.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I wish I could get a copy of a picture of my uncle. I asked my cousin several times. Someone snapped a picture of my uncle on Iwo Jima digging a fox hole. Turns out that very night he was wounded by a Japanese grenade fragment in the back. He was there almost an entire month before being wounded. He was in the 4th marine division. Back in 1995 he had the opportunity to go back. He said once was enough.

·
Registered
326 Posts
. Can't have been issued.......right?[/QUOTE said:
See M.H. Cole's book "U.S. Military Knives & Bayonets". Page 33. Someone speculates the scabbard pictured was made in WWII. This would indicate a re-issue to me. I also read somewhere that they were re-issured in WWII and slightly modified. I can't find at this time where I saw that bit of info.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts