Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Amongst my interests are examples of US support provided to other nations in terms of arms. Here’s a couple interesting examples whose thoughts only commonality is the caliber - 30-06.

Springfield M1 early 1944 as supplied to Colombia. Inclusive of sling.
Arisaka Type 99 “US CAL 30” modified by US in Tokyo to support Korea.

Anyone else?

Thanks!
Cylinder Metal Auto part Gun accessory Office supplies

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Wood Natural material Metal

Wood Twig Metal Shotgun

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
WWI era contract rifles are a favorite of mine.
The list is huge but big highlights would be US made P-14 Enfields, US M91 Mosin Negants, French rifles Berthier and Rolling blocks. H&A made Belgian 1889 Mausers. I’m sure there are more but these off my head.
You could build a nice collection just off lend lease and US contract to foreign aid. I’m sure someone on here as a collection of them.

·
Registered
13,430 Posts
There were many M1 Rifles, M1 Carbines, m1903, 03A3, and M1917 rifles that the CMP 'reclaimed' from countries they were given to.

I have a Greek return 1903 and a Danish return M1 that I bought at the CMP North Store.

As in Post #2, I also have a BNP-proofed M1917 WWII export (a Winchester). I bought it when I was about 19 in 1968. Like an idiot, I removed the red paint within a week or so from when I bought it..

·
Registered
775 Posts
We (Peru) got some small arms from the US after WWII, maybe after Korean war. Most were M-1 Garands, M-1, M-2 & M1A1 carbines, and assorted 1911A-1 pistols. Also we got 1919s, BARs, "trench guns" (Winchesters mostly and a handful of Stevens 520-30s), a few 1903s, High Standard HD Military pistols of all kinds along with Mossberg 44US trainers, M3 "Grease guns", M1A1 Thompsons and even a few S&W 1917revolvers. Don't know about any 1917, 1941 or Colt 1917.

Inland M1A1 & Standard Products M-1

Photograph Vertebrate Air gun Wood Trigger

My Garand was modified by local Air Foce arsenal to use .308. Runs perfectly:

Air gun Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel Gas

My Remington 1903 before completing some missing bits. Reblued by local Naval arsenal (Standard procedure for them) and with a .308 chamber insert. 30-06 ammo is scarce and expensive and despite the insert it shoots like a laser gun even with cheap surplus:

Trigger Gun accessory Wood Tints and shades Magenta

Also got a 44US, a 520-30"trench" and a US&S 1911A-1. All in working condition.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We (Peru) got some small arms from the US after WWII, maybe after Korean war. Most were M-1 Garands, M-1, M-2 & M1A1 carbines, and assorted 1911A-1 pistols. Also we got 1919s, BARs, "trench guns" (Winchesters mostly and a handful of Stevens 520-30s), a few 1903s, High Standard HD Military pistols of all kinds along with Mossberg 44US trainers, M3 "Grease guns", M1A1 Thompsons and even a few S&W 1917revolvers. Don't know about any 1917, 1941 or Colt 1917.

Inland M1A1 & Standard Products M-1

View attachment 3901224

My Garand was modified by local Air Foce arsenal to use .308. Runs perfectly:

View attachment 3901226

My Remington 1903 before completing some missing bits. Reblued by local Naval arsenal (Standard procedure for them) and with a .308 chamber insert. 30-06 ammo is scarce and expensive and despite the insert it shoots like a laser gun even with cheap surplus:

View attachment 3901228

Also got a 44US, a 520-30"trench" and a US&S 1911A-1. All in working condition.
very cool! Is there a surplus market in Peru?

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s a few more pics of the Garand, and a Scribble I hadn’t noticed before - MARINA on the fwd handguard. Though it could reference Marines or Navy, given the casual nature of the inscription, I suspect it may be a name.
Also, barrel looks original to the receiver, which is a January ‘44. In fact, the whole rifle looks correct as all stamped parts SA. Any idea how I can check?
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Wood Synthetic rubber

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Plank

Wood Wood stain Automotive exterior Hardwood Varnish

Wood Office supplies Bicycle part Material property Writing implement

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here’s a few more pics of the Garand, and a Scribble I hadn’t noticed before - MARINA on the fwd handguard. Though it could reference Marines or Navy, given the casual nature of the inscription, I suspect it may be a name.
Also, barrel looks original to the receiver, which is a January ‘44. In fact, the whole rifle looks correct as all stamped parts SA. Any idea how I can check?
View attachment 3903295
View attachment 3903296
View attachment 3903297
View attachment 3903298
That stock is correct and looks like it has lockbars which would also be correct, would need to see the drawing numbers on the rest of parts to tell you more.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That stock is correct and looks like it has lockbars which would also be correct, would need to see the drawing numbers on the rest of parts to tell you more.
Lock bars present. Based on your comment I found usriflecal30m1.com with a list of assy numbers. Looking good so far?
Brown Wood Cosmetics Gadget Tints and shades

Wood Tool Fashion accessory Everyday carry Wrist

Wood Textile Tints and shades Gadget Font

Wood Tool Metal Gas Fashion accessory

Gas Wood Personal protective equipment Auto part Audio equipment

·
Registered
533 Posts
WWI era contract rifles are a favorite of mine.
The list is huge but big highlights would be US made P-14 Enfields, US M91 Mosin Negants, French rifles Berthier and Rolling blocks. H&R made Belgian 1889 Mausers. I’m sure there are more but these off my head.
You could build a nice collection just off lend lease and US contract to foreign aid. I’m sure someone on here as a collection of them.
Hopkins and Allen made Belgian Mauser not H&R.

·
Registered
775 Posts
very cool! Is there a surplus market in Peru?
Nope. Those former military guns available to civilians came mostly from Armed Forces Officers that got them from their institutions as collectibles. Others were imported decades ago when you could literally buy a gun abroad and bring it in your luggage.
A few Mausers were given as prizes to civilian shooters that won State-sponsored rifle target shooting matches or part of the weapons the State gave to former big farms ("Haciendas") to arm their private security detachments to fight against criminal bands or guerrilla groups.

The only time a bunch of surplus guns were imported by a store and sold to the civilian market were a small lot of Yugo Mausers a few years ago.

There are few surplus guns enthusiasts. 90% of authorized gun owners that aren't private security guards look for defensive guns for CCW, shotguns (Mostly single-shots and pumps) for subsistence hunting/personal protection in rural areas, or .22LR rifles for deer poaching.

Other U.S. weaponry we got were A-26 Invaders, B-25J Mitchell bombers, Lockheed Ventura patrol planes, DC-2 & DC-3 transports, NA-50 fighters, P-47 Thunderbolt fighters and some training biplanes; also M-4 Sherman and Stuart tanks, half-tracks, etc. etc.

Later we got T-33 trainers, F-86 Sabres, A-37s, C-130s, some helicopters, jeeps and others. Sadly after the 1968 military coup we changed to other military equipment providers like the URRSS, France, Belgium and Israel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lock bars present. Based on your comment I found usriflecal30m1.com with a list of assy numbers. Looking good so far?
Stock is correct, Oprod correct, Trigger housing correct, Hammer correct, Bolt correct. Could be a restored rifle or could be original. What lock-bars does it have and it looks like it says something below the barrel date which might tell use some more info.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stock is correct, Oprod correct, Trigger housing correct, Hammer correct, Bolt correct. Could be a restored rifle or could be original. What lock-bars does it have and it looks like it says something below the barrel date which might tell use some more info.
I blacked out and missed posting this one before
Wood Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Metal

The info under the barrel date is the Springfield Sporters import mark. That’s how I know this came from Colombia.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts