Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up today (along with an FEG AMD-65 ) and noted that it did not seem to have an import mark. Any guess as to how this got into the country without an import mark? Were they required before 1968?

I really like this pistol. The finish isn't the best but it feels great in the hand.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material
Light Trigger Air gun Wood Line

·
Registered
598 Posts
Your Pistolet P1 is a former West Berlin police pistol. See the sunburst on the front part of the trigger guard. Under the Four Powers governance of the city of Berlin, the Soviets would not permit West Berlin police to be armed with German made weapons. When the decision was made in 1963 to replace the allied surplus arms that they had been carrying, Walther was already manufacturing the P38. But to get around the Soviet objection, the parts were made in West Germany, shipped in the white to Manurhin in France, finished, marked as French made, and then sold to the West Berlin Police. IIRC 13,000 pistols were delivered.

You should also watch for the Wunderlich holster that was issued with the pistol. It will have a brand under the flap: PPBln, Polizeipräsidium Berlin.

Manurhin already had a licensing agreement with Walther to manufacture and market pistols, and the quality matched Walther’s prewar pistols.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your Pistolet P1 is a former West Berlin police pistol. See the sunburst on the front part of the trigger guard. Under the Four Powers governance of the city of Berlin, the Soviets would not permit West Berlin police to be armed with German made weapons. When the decision was made in 1963 to replace the allied surplus arms that they had been carrying, Walther was already manufacturing the P38. But to get around the Soviet objection, the parts were made in West Germany, shipped in the white to Manurhin in France, finished, marked as French made, and then sold to the West Berlin Police. IIRC 13,000 pistols were delivered.

You should also watch for the Wunderlich holster that was issued with the pistol. It will have a brand under the flap: PPBln, Polizeipräsidium Berlin.

Manurhin already had a licensing agreement with Walther to manufacture and market pistols, and the quality matched Walther’s prewar pistols.
I wouldn't have known this.

Nice information man.

·
Registered
598 Posts
When they were surplused Interarms bought them up and repackaged them.

Mine also has a scratched up finish as well. I haven’t seen an example that doesn’t.

Here are some views of the holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yours is an excellent example!

Mine does not have an import mark. Do we know how that happened?

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Material property Gun accessory
Wood Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Automotive exterior

·
Registered
598 Posts
Best guess? It was purchased at a PX in West Germany and came home in a duffle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts