Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,462 Posts
Hey Its an AOI marked M-95 carbine!! good find for Italian east Afrika marked Carbine! There was a guy that posted a picture of a bringback mauser with similar green/Khaki color painted on barrel under wood.Great pictures- I dont know about all the other small markings-the WN is the Vienna proof house marking or Went with year of mfg but it seems to have been worn off.Painted numbers in the stock are more recent I am guessning but not for sure.It is worth it for the AOI cartouche in stock.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
The ones I know:
1st picture - 5052F is the serial number. The barrel, receiver, and stock should match. The hand guard may also be numbered beneath the sight on the left side.

2nd picture - W-n Eagle * is the acceptance date for the Austrians. There should be a number under the * that is the last 2 digits of the year. Don't know why it got canceled out. Also since you do not have a 'S' on the barrel it is in 8x50R.

3rd picture - It was made in Budapest and is a M95.

11th picture - An old serial number.

13th picture - An old serial number stamped over an even older serial number.

4th picture - inspector markings. The +5 has something to do with the sights. You will always see the opposite on the barrel (or the same if 0) as you can see in picture 5.

6th picture - Austrian Eagle. An Austrian proof marking. It means it served in the Austrian army.

I either don't know the rest or they have already been explained.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just want to point out the barrel does not appear to be the original as the timing/witness marks are off center. The year may not have been partially obliterated as the zero was often dropped on guns made in the first few years after the turn of the last century. I have owned/seen a few M95's where this was the case. The carbine is without a doubt an 8x50 chambered piece due to its AOI affiliation. However it should once again be pointed out that one should not assume the mere absence of an "S" denotes original chambering. I've personally owned two long rifles that were not "S" stamped but were indeed chambered in 56R. One of these guns had no markings over the chamber while the other had partially obliterated original stamps. Due to the barrel's orientation, the obvious arsenal refinished metal and other details it seems that this interesting carbine is an arsenal bitser cobbled together in Italy following WWI.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
When I get home later today, I'll post some pics of the ammunition that was made for these rifles by the Italians for these rifles.

·
Administrator
12,267 Posts
And now you need this Italian ersatz bayonet for your AOI:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.