Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum, but thought this larger forum may like to see my project.

I like the Mosin's exposed magazine, and always wanted to put one in a mannlicher stock. A member here modified a stock made of wood, I think it was jmeck. It was cool. I wanted to make one out of a single piece of wood. When that didn't become an option, I thought that I would try and extend an ATI stock into a Mannlicher.

I purchased a Hex receivered gun with an excellent bore at Big 5 for 100 bucks. So far so good. I traded the stock to a man that had an ATI stock. Working so far...

I cut about 1/2" off the forend, so that I would have a flat surface. I drilled a hole and put a long piece of allthread into the hole. I epoxied it and then built up the extension using epoxy putty. Through trial and error, I found that I had to fiberglass the extension to make it stronger. Then, I shaped it and fitted a nose cap from Brownells. I then coated the whole thing with spray bedliner.

My friend is the manager of a machine shop and has volunteered his services to help me with the metal work. I will have the barrel cut back to about 20". The bolt will be cut off and a butterknife handle will be installed. I bought a Timney trigger and have to figure out what to do with the sighting system. The original sights are off.

One option is mount a scope and put a low powered scope that has the 1940's style to it. Another option is to mount sporting sights on the gun. I even thought about making a peep sight work. However, I don't know if the ATI stock will work with sights. Does the stock put your head too high? Does the stock put your head too low for a scope?

My friend has the barrelled action at his shop. Since he is doing it on the side, it has taken a long time. I am anxious to get it back. Hopefully it will happen in the next few weeks.

He also has access to an electroless nickle system that would allow the gun to be an all weather Mosin. I think the gun will get a sandblast to mellow out all of the factory machining marks.

Here is a picture of the stock:

·
Silver Bullet member
835 Posts
Reading your description I wasn't sure what I would see, but that came out very nice. A older Weaver steel tube, like a K2.5 or K4 would look good. Those can be found on evil bay pretty reasonable. A Lyman Alaskan with it's 3/4 tube would look great too, but they are spendy. A reciever mounted apeture sight would look good. I saw a thread on using a rear scope mount and short rail to mount a Williams or Redffield sight on a Swiss K. Good job!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The barrel was cut and crowned on a lathe. It is being sand blasted and then electroless nickeled right not, to have an all-weather mosin. The butterknife bolt handle is attached, and looks great. The Timney trigger was installed and breaks very cleanly. When I get it back from being electroless nickled, I will bed the action. I think I am going to buy a Savage 340 scope mount and have the gun drilled and tapped for it. Now to look for a scope.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The barrel was cut and crowned on a lathe. It is being sand blasted and then electroless nickeled right not, to have an all-weather mosin. The butterknife bolt handle is attached, and looks great. The Timney trigger was installed and breaks very cleanly. When I get it back from being electroless nickled, I will bed the action. I think I am going to buy a Savage 340 scope mount and have the gun drilled and tapped for it. Now to look for a scope.
Nice! What ever happened to this? Did you finish the project? I definitely would like to see the finished product!
Best Regards and God Bless, Col

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.