Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day, I bought a bunch of the Steyr carbines that CIA had for sale. I thought they were all made during WW1. However, I have two which have dates in the 30s, 37 and 38 to be exact. Could this be the date of rechambering? Picture of one attached.

my interest in these is…my grandmother, with three kids, and her two br others came to the USA in 1912 from Hungary. In the 1914, both brothers received draft notices from the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. One threw his in the trash, the other went back, survives WW1 and WW2, and was last heard from in the 50s, asking for anything, as the Soviets were starving them out. Now that is more than by original question.
Furniture Office equipment Gadget Material property Bumper

·
Registered
746 Posts
The "HV (Eagle) 37" represents re-acceptance by the Austrian military (apparently the "HV" is Heeresverwaltung, Army Administration), essentially re-accepted by the military after conversion to the new cartridge.

The double-headed eagle with the halos represents the Federal State of Austria (1934-1938), fascist regime that was both anti-communist and anti-Nazi but obviously did not last long because of German meddling!

Hungarian converted rifles have an "H" rather than an "S" and usually have a Hungarian crest re-acceptance stamp along the right edge of the receiver and barrel shank though they are usually very small, along with a larger acceptance stamp on the left side stock.

My understanding is that most of the CAI guns came from Bulgaria, who acquired a huge amount of these after both World Wars, reworked them, and threw them in storage.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
The production by Steyr ended probably 1920, the other firm that completed postwar rifles and carbines should be St.F. shortage, by this piece i assume as mentioned is already a M95/30 configuration Stutzen or Karabiner, on buttplate could be Bundesheer unit.

·
Administrator
12,316 Posts
The latest date I have is 1920 and that's not the date of refurbishment, but of the original acceptance. The conversion to Patrone M.30 was later, of course.

Cylinder Audio equipment Font Gas Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
The latest original I have is 1920 as well. I have 1930’s dated guns as well.

what you have there are two rifles that were rebarreled during the period when rifles were being modified to 8x56r, and so they have barrel acceptance dates of the rework period. So that barrel was not rechambered - it was 8x56r when it went on the action.

I think that it can be said that barrels marked with a sans-serif ‘S’ were converted or chambered by the Austrians, not in Bulgaria. The guns still probably found their way to Bulgaria, where Century bought them.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
DocAV says he has a 1921 dated example but I have not seen photos.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The "HV (Eagle) 37" represents re-acceptance by the Austrian military (apparently the "HV" is Heeresverwaltung, Army Administration), essentially re-accepted by the military after conversion to the new cartridge.
This is technically incorrect. The HV is a repair stamp and not an acceptance stamp. The outcome (or what you wanted to say) though is technically correct.

Many barrels this late are not overstamped since they were newly produced. Is the barrel of the particular rifle marked with a circled T on the right side of the barrel shank? Maybe you can also show the serial on the barrel. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I would disagree that HV is a repair stamp its a property or inventory stamp for 1.republik army, as majority of older stuff were sold or given as reparation to neighbors, since 1920 the new Bundesheer was equiped with staff that should clearly declared as a army property, there exist proofs in early postwar years wout any refurbishment to new M95/30 configuration. Anyway majority of the stamps were realised on the M95/30 refurbishments.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You may then disagree to the Austrian War Archive material, but up to you. In fact it is quite obvious you are wrong by a simple example: the M.95 RIFLE conversion to S caliber were outcarried by the Austrian Army (and therefore HV marked), but they did it for the Police. So it cannot be a property stamp of the Army if a rifle is owned and used by the Police.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Ok Dave, when You have confirmation in austrian archives, then i am wrong in my opinion, from that sample You probably are not fully correct as the army cooperate with Executive an police and realised for them the conversion, secondly there were rised various combatant organisations as Heimwehr that used army equipment, problem is too the timeframe is identical for increasing the armament by all branches in earle 30ies as the Saint Germain controls were not realised already. Its from german translate what Heeres Verwaltung means same as this are not fireproofs even not army fireproofs or civilian proofs. I saw some rifles uncoverted with 29 date so prior change to M95/30 so it was based on that evidence.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Not all post WWI army items had the HV stamp, plus the fact that it is followed by a year date is obvious it cannot be property stamp. Why would else in some cases the dates be overstamped (like 35 over 27)? Pretty simple, because it was repaired/reworked a second time.
Of course the Army outcarried the conversion for the Police, there are even documents on the Police requesting this. The fact that these though were not Army property is obvious by another fact, the Army requested a uniform change to M.95 Stutzenkarabiner, and therefore withdrawing all rifles.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Yes the date should be so logically , i will wait for my austrian friend info,from Administration proof designation its more a property stamp, about the long rifles M95 they were in minority still by Bundesheer in 1938 report,so certainly not all rifles were moved as long to police,same as mainly the Gendarmerie used Stutzens. Is fact the majority was M95/30 were shortened to Stutzen/Karabiner version, but not all long rifles by army were converted, the development from late 20ies to 30ies was stepwise changed. I dont saw any austrian only imperial proofed rifles with new Bundesheer units?, the need of designation the items as property of state was evident, visible on doubble proofed bayonets as sample, question remains it was done the HV stamp only post refurbishment in all cases?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts