Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have couple question about Mannlicher M95 bayonet I picked up recently.

Was this Mannlicher M95 bayonet used by Turkey? Five digit number on pommel, looks to me like typical location (maybe font too) on some Turkish M35 bayonets I've seen.
FGGY stamp on ricasso, is a Hungarian manufacturer, but what about the stamp on the other side? It's not very sharp, bayonet was most likely polished. Is that stamp for Hungarian kingdom?
Various numbers stamped on crossguard - number 3 on left side of the rivets, number 33 between the rivers and number 90 on right side of the rivets.
No other stamps on bayonet or scabbard/frog stud. Frog stud could be replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
This bayonet looks like typical bulgarian refurbishment with large rivets on crossguard, it could be used by some other country, but personally doubt any turkish use, similar pommel marking was used by Romania too, so it could be used on some balkan country prior reused by Bulgaria, scabbard has rough rewelding on frog hook.refinished and reblued. Bayonet was ugrian proofed on other side to opposite Budapest marking. Nothing strange.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
+1 for Andy...... I agree Bulgarian rebuild would be my thought...

If Turk I would likely see an ASFA rebuild mark on the pommel.......

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
I can understand these somehow picking up a Turkish connection though. They were released and imported into the US the same time as the umpteentrillion Turk and turked bayonets began to hit our market. A lot of the Spanish bayonets were stîll being sold cheap online/catalog then too.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for all replies.
I don't have much experience with these Mannlicher M95 bayonets. That 5 digit number on pommel made me think of use by Turkey.

When did Turkey started stamping their bayonets with AS.FA stamp?

Found one M95 used by Turkey on this website:
unfortunately pictures are not clear enough to see if there's AS.FA stamp.

and this one:
just confirms what Andy wrote about rework by Bulgaria (large rivets; and even serial numbers font is very similar)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more in agreement. The lack of an AS.FA stamp is most telling.
Just a thought.
Would there be a possibility that bayonet would make it to Turkey and be gone (to Bulgaria) before Turkey started using AS.FA stamp on their bayonets?

When did Turkey started stamping their bayonets with AS.FA stamp?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts