Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

The Mannlicher G98/40, a interesting rifle.
But, what Mannlicher action is it made on?
How was these rifles, good?

A good weekend all.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Hungarians created the M35 rifle to fire the 8x56R cartridge that they had converted many of their M95 Steyr straight pull rifles and carbines to.

It is a unique action, but uses a split bridge receiver common to older style Mannlicher turn-bolt actions. It also uses the standard Steyr M95 en-bloc clip (mannlicher type).

When the rifle system was reworked to the German 7.92mm rimless cartridge (becoming the G98/40), the magazine was changed to a mauser style stacked type. It became a hybrid rifle. The last remaining classic mannlicher feature was the split bridge. The bolt does not have a mauser claw, but that common for many other rifle designs.

Hope this helps.

PS I don't know how "good" they are, but I would like to have one (a shooting example). They are somewhat rare, and usually not cheap, unless you find one being sold by someone ignorant of their value.

·
Super Moderator
11,676 Posts
It is a unique action.
Not really unique. The action is a slightly modified Gew 88 (Commissiongewehr) design. See below, Gew 88 bolt is fourth from top, 35M bolt (same as 43M and G98/40) is on the bottom. (The bolts between them are Romanian, Dutch and Greek Mannlicher bolts)

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and thank you all for the good information.
There is a local dealer here who have a barreled action, not original stock. The barrel is in a very poor condition, but the action is smooth.

So, the idea of taking the action got in my mind.....And, the G88 was not a bad action.
Maybe having a gunsmith make me hunting rifle, keep it original caliber, or even make it in a 9.3x57.
If the rifle had its original stock, I had to keep it original, just a new non matching barrel. But, now, I do not feel to bad taking it apart.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's a MARVELOUS rifle - seriously overlooked by all but the most die-hard collector.

I have had several G98/40, and just bought another on Sunday - a few mismatches, but in NICE used condition, and complete with the rod and hood.

And a heavy rifle too :) Makes shooting 8mm even more comfortable.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,769 Posts
The fore stock and butt stock can be made from a M95 long rifle stock. The tricky part is getting the mounting plate between the two. The inletting is nearly identical, just the band placement is different.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Post WW2 the Hungarian Fegyvergiar, Budapest arms factory built some sporting rifles on these actions. These are very rare by now, at least west of the former iron curtain. Here are photos of two such rifles, one in 8x60S, the other 9.3x62.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,065 Posts
The fore stock and butt stock can be made from a M95 long rifle stock. The tricky part is getting the mounting plate between the two. The inletting is nearly identical, just the band placement is different.
Original bands surface occasionally on Gunbroker, or you could always advertise for one here....

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack this very informative thread, but I am trying to "restore" a sporterized G98/40. I finally broke down and had a forestock and handguard custom made. Now I need the front band and bayonet lug. I have tried the usual supects, Springfield Sporters (who told me it was to cold for them to search their warehouse) I put a want to Buy on the forum, no response, have searched e-bay and Gunbroker to no avail. If anyone has one to sell or trade, or a lead on where I might find one, I would be very grateful. I will pay cash, or have lots of mauser parts to trade. Please PM me, or email [email protected] many thanks,

Original bands surface occasionally on Gunbroker, or you could always advertise for one here....

·
Super Moderator
11,676 Posts
Runner, where did you have the forearm & handguard made?

·
Registered
221 Posts
runner, I like you, have a 98/40 and a M43 that were sporterized years ago and been looking for stock parts and bands..........they are rare enough, and almost impossible to find. Its been about 3 years in the hunt............good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts