Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although I have owned a couple of M1888 Commission rifles and one Mannlicher/Schoenaur M1910 take-down carbine, I am relatively ignorant on Mannlichers and have little information in my library. At a recent gunshow a fellow was walking around with a Mannlicher carbine that very closely resembled a Swedish Mauser M1892 trials carbine. It did have the steel sleeve barrel shroud and appeared to be "original" but re-blued. It had an aperture rear sight on the cocking knob and was in 6.5x53mm cal. He said that about 800 were made for the Swedes for trials. I could not separate him from it - I think he was just doing a show and tell tour. Was his info correct and what model is it? Thanks, DDR

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have never heard of a Swedish order for any M1900 or M1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauers. The aperture sight on the cocking piecewould be extremely after market, plus all GI Mannlicher-Schoenauers had a round ball handle on the bolt as a dead giveaway. Are you even sure it was a M-S, and not one of the many Mauser action police carbines?

LLS

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It was most definitely a Mannlicher action and had a single column Mannlicher magazine well protruding from the bottom of the stock. Not a M-S rotary magazine or a flush Mauser magazine. He saw my Dutch Hembrug (Mannlicher action) rifle on the table and asked if I had any clips to fit his rifle. He only had one. The book "Crown Jewels" about Swedish Mausers makes a scant reference to Mannlicher and Krag rifles having been submitted to Sweden for the 1892 trials, which Mauser won resulting in the Swede M1894 carbine. I have seen commercial M1903's with a rear aperture sight mounted on the receiver that was moved in and out of position when the bolt cycled and my M1910 9.5x57mm had a aperture tang sight that folded and locked into the top of the stock wrist. It too was moved in and out of position but by the bolt. Mannlicher had some clever, if delicate, rear sights. DDR

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks, that swinging rear sight is probably a Lyman 36, the price of one has gone out of sight recently. I love those pop up tang sights. Right now, both M1910s I have are without exotic sights.
LLS

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
llsierra: I love that caliber! Hang on to those M1910's as long as you can. I deeply regret that circumstances dictated I sell mine. "One of these days..." :eek: DDR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts