·
Platinum Bullet Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 07/07/2005 : 10:31:30 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen,

Can somebody post closeup pictures of Mannlicher 1886-90 (not 88-90) of the area where the barrel joins the receiver? If pictures are not available, can somebody measure the barrel diameter at the muzzle? Any pictures will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

FixBayonets
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
695 Posts
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 08:58:36 AM

I don't have one of those, but wouldn't it be the same barrel as the 88/90?

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Mauser71
Gunboards Member

36 Posts
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 10:58:10 AM

I have both the 11mm 1886 & 8 X 50Rmm 88/90. What caliber do you need. I've never herd of a 86/90. But that is not saying much. I'll post both sizes tonight.

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 12:49:12 PM

Thank you, gents. I will post pictures of barrels that a Bulgarian collector recently found. One of them is thought to be for the rare conversion called 86-90.

Later!

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 2:37:06 PM

Here is what I was asking about. The left barrel is for M1888, the middle barrel is for 88-90 (with side plates). The right barrel is apparently for M1886 - muzzle diameter, flare size at the threads. However, its rear sight is graduated for the smokeless load, which will make it 86-90, right?

If anyone has any info on this rare conversion, please, post it here or send me e-mail.

Thank you for your input.

Download Attachment:
214.93 KB

Krag
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

3553 Posts
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 3:52:23 PM

I have a good, clear close up but it's too large to post here. E-mail me and I'll send it to you - if you cable that is. It'll take forever to upload on dial up.

The M.86-90 isn't common but I don't think "rare" is an apt description as I have seen a number of them over the years. The A-H army converted almost all of their M.86 rifles to 8mm in the 1890s.

"Use up all your ammo and have fun."

Starship Troopers
Robert Heinlein

Edited by - Krag on 07/08/2005 3:54:10 PM

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 07/08/2005 : 5:16:11 PM

Thank you, Krag!

I sent you an e-mail w/ my cable address.

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 07/10/2005 : 3:26:36 PM

Hi Nick,
I just bought an 86-90 at auction. It's the second I've owned in the past 6 years. I will post pictures later today or tomorrow. And it does have the elongated barrel/chamber swell that you mentioned.

It has a small but interesting stamp on the receiver, a small lion. Maybe it's Bulgarian?
Regards,
John

Edited by - John Wall on 07/10/2005 3:28:11 PM

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 07/10/2005 : 4:05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Wall

Hi Nick,
I just bought an 86-90 at auction. It's the second I've owned in the past 6 years. I will post pictures later today or tomorrow. And it does have the elongated barrel/chamber swell that you mentioned.

It has a small but interesting stamp on the receiver, a small lion. Maybe it's Bulgarian?
Regards,
John

Hi John,

Does the lion on your 86-90 look like the one on the picture? The pic is of my Bulgarian 1888-90.

Thank you for the info!

Download Attachment:
161.73 KB

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 07/10/2005 : 6:28:14 PM

Hi Nick,
No, the lion stamp is about the same size, but it looks more like the Czechoslovak (Bohemian) lion, although it is partially obliterated by a capital letter "H" overstamped on it.

The first 86-90 I owned actually had a Czechoslovak "S-lion-7" stamped on it receiver.
Regards,
John

Edited by - John Wall on 07/10/2005 6:29:03 PM

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 07/10/2005 : 10:49:06 PM

Nick,
Here are the pictures you asked for. The rifle is an M.1886, converted from 11 m/m to 8 m/m in 1892, and accepted at "Wn", Vienna Arsenal.

The lion looks Czechoslovak to me, and the "H" is a mystery.
Regards,
John

Download Attachment:
128.46 KB

Download Attachment:
101.29 KB

Download Attachment:
86.52 KB

Download Attachment:
87.23 KB

Download Attachment:
90.08 KB

Download Attachment:
104.28 KB

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 07/10/2005 : 11:55:09 PM

John,

Thank you for the nice pictures! The lion does look different. Is the bluing original? Cool rifle, I've been looking for some time for one of these, but no luck so far...

Thanks again!

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 07/11/2005 : 05:32:04 AM

Czeck lion alright but I don't know the meaning of the H. I have a simuliar marked rifle. The other 86-90 you describe is Bulgarian. These rifles were purchased by Bulgaria directly from A_H before WWI. They are indeed rare-- I've only seen 3 in many yrs of collecting.
dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 07/11/2005 : 12:13:47 PM

Hi Darrell,
Thanks for yor information. I suspected that it was not Bulgarian, even though the mark is shown as Schott and Hoffman as Bulgarian.

By the way, regarding Bulgarian Mannlichers of the M1886/M1888 types, is the serial number stamped on the barrel swell, as in Nick's photo, a characteristic of just Bulgarian contract rifles?

Nick,
I believe that the bluing is original, although will check it in sunlight to be sure.
Regards,
John

Edited by - John Wall on 07/11/2005 12:20:51 PM

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 07/11/2005 : 1:33:25 PM

Hi John,

Most older Bulgarian rifles have the number on the barrel swell. My 2 86-90 bulgarian contract rifles do but they do not have the rearing lion. Interestingly, all numbers match on both rifles. Ausrrian # to the stock and the bulgarian # to the stock also.in 1912 Bulgaria tried to buy rifles from wherever they could get them - among other places also in Vienna. "In 1913 the War Ministry in Vienna sold 50.000 used 86/90 to Bulgaria... In 1913/14 further 75.000 rifles ( 86/90, 88/90) were sold (for far less money) from Vienna to Bulgaria."

dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 07/11/2005 : 5:22:48 PM

Most interesting. From this data, it sounds like the great majority of the 95,000 converted M1886-90 Austro-Hungarian Army rifles eventually ended up in Bulgarian Army service.
Regards,
John

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 07/11/2005 : 7:44:06 PM

I believe you could say MOST. There fore yours is more rare being of czech ventage--and Austrian through WWI.
dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

1 - 1 of 1 Posts