Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These things have always sorta creeped me out. Guess I've seen too many horror movies! Anyway, they do add a lot to ones display - especially if you want to show some of the uniform & equipment that was used. I got these from Webster Displays and they are some of the nicest I've seen. They aren't cheap but they seem to be very well made. I just bought 4 mannequin heads for some of my headgear. I even bought two "krauts" for my Imperial German cap & helmet. I just have the one full mannequin & right after I got it my landlady came over to see what set off my alarm (I had a damn mouse in the house then). When she stepped into "The Room" she said she nearly had a stroke! I would guess so, seeing an armed soldier standing there! If I can find some pants for my Captain, I'd like to do a full mannequin for him.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
May have posted this some years back. In the early 90s I picked up one of "Websters Displays" foam chest forms, these come with a wooden base. The front and back are molded and glued along each side. I cut the two halves apart, removed the neck "stub", ran a 2"x2" between the shoulders and ran a one inch dowel from the 2x2 up the neck opening. This allowed and held a foam head to fit on/inside the neck stub. Drilled holes in the end of the 2x2s and cemented in a bolt with a wing-nut, allowing arm atachment and the arms can be positioned. Arms were made from 2x2', foam-wrapped for padding and wired at the "elboes." Picked up the hands at an after-Halloween sale. The way the chest fits on the base it would be simple to construct "hips" out of a 2x4 with a dowel running up into the chest where the base dowel goes, attach "legs, etc. and make a complete unit. When I've used my two at a show display I only used the upper half resting on the ends of the table(s). Easier to carry (you can strap them in on the back seat with the shoulder harness, makes it look you hve a couple of military guys in the back) and you don't have to put a complete unit behind the table or move a table to make room.

While in Tuscaloosa bought two female mannequins at a store going out of business, performed a double mastetcomy on each with a belt sander. Had one in a Japanese uniform in the foyer and one behind the bar in the den. The foyer one had it's hand out so a T-14 just fit, scarred the crap out of the delivery man when he brought in the last box of paper and turned around and saw a "guy" pointing a pistol at him. Unfortunately, the weight of the pistol finally broke the hand. The one behind the bar, with only the bar light on, got me a time or two when I walked in the house at night.

Now have a little guy, about 5' high with a "Garfield" face dressed in a Japanese uniform holding a rubber 99 Nambu light, rubber 99 rifle slung over his shoulder. Had to paint shoes on him, couldn't find anything to fit.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,491 Posts
Great looking. Manikins do display items much better then hanging them on the walls or in display cases. I only wish I had a little more space in my room so I could add a Japanese manikin, Ray

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great looking. Manikins do display items much better then hanging them on the walls or in display cases. I only wish I had a little more space in my room so I could add a Japanese manikin, Ray
Ray - if I can do it anyone can. You would be suprised to see how little my gun room really is.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These guys look great!
Just a "Visual Industry" factoid; Female figures are know as "Mannequins", Male figures are
called "Dummies"...no kidding!
all the best!
Now we know why Doss has never been called a "mannequin"! ;)
Interesting factoid!!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,491 Posts
"I only wish I had a little more space in my room so I could add a Japanese manikin," Ray

"Ray - if I can do it anyone can. You would be suprised to see how little my gun room really is"

I guess you're right, I was in the room the other day and my wife said, I see you're added another dummy in there, LOL, Ray

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone asked me recently that they needed a dummy. Told him ADogs was back on the boards.
Yeah, but you're still ugly & ya just can't fix that!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah ha - I remember you now! You need a bigger place! Awesome - just awesome.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Wow nice pictures ,Ray, great "dummies" and items...thats a sweet looking Mclellan Also.still looks good enough to ride.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,491 Posts
Thanks Davef, actually all the saddles are still in pretty good shape and I would bet still ridable. Not bad for the saddles from the CW being almost 150 yrs old as well as the other ones. Ray

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Don't know if they are still around, but someone/company offered "plastic" upper man-shaped targets, head/face and chest. vacumn-formed, hollow, probably less than 10" "thick." (Put it against the wall and it would stick out about 10".) Would hold a field cap and tunnic, could be fitted against a wall, closet door, etc. Take very little space.

I bought one several years ago as a target, but thought it too good to turn into a "Fearless Fosdick" (How many of you grasshoppers know who Fearless Fosdick was?) so I've used it dressed as an IJA grunt in displays, held up by a 2x2" frame

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Fearless Fosdick

Fearless Fosdick, the dective, was always getting shot in the funny papers, left a big hole right through his chest.

Never killed him though, tough character.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fearless Fosdick, the dective, was always getting shot in the funny papers, left a big hole right through his chest.

Never killed him though, tough character.

Naw, The Rodent is talking about something he keeps in his swimsuit area.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,491 Posts
I forgot to mention that I made/put together six of those manikins. Namely the SAW ones, the German w/ the MP44 and the sitting German and the WWI US one. They were all assembled using those half/shirt forms and 2X4 legs added. The heads are the standard styroform heads that the faces were built out using plaster of paris.

The styroform heads need to have the cheeks and chin built out to make them look better as well as some eye outline/lids etc added then they are painted. Actually mine are not painted that good but serve the purpose. Here is a drawing of how I made the platforms out of the half torso's just to get an idea how it can be done. The arms are just rolled up newspaper or towels and the hands are commerical purchased soft plastic ones I found at a gun show and I bought a bunch. I think they are available through some manikin website also.

I have twenty manikins total, all but the ones I made were old store manikins that I picked up through the years but those have dried up so instead of paying a lot of money for commerical ones I decided to make them. My home made manikins are not very professional done but serve the purpose of displaying the uniforms and equipment and of course they were cheap. Ray

1 - 17 of 17 Posts