1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,414 Posts
Happens elsewhere---not too long ago two different drivers in Ohio had their wallets lifted while they were trapped in their vehicles after a wreck and before emergency personnel had arrived. Dirtbags abound;the dumber ones eventually get caught for SOMETHING, at least. Jest hai'nt possible to catch 'em all the time.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Ferals..."

At 19 I was hit by a car -- on the sidewalk @ ~2:30 AM.

The driver ran. He hit my left leg, I hit a telephone pole on the ricochet.

When I awoke, I began taking inventory:

OK... Broken jaw. Broken ribs. Broken collar-bone, shoulder probably dislocated as well. Leg feels "asleep" -- I must have been laying here a while.

I managed to roll over and sit up. I looked down, and my toes were tucked in the back of my knee.

There's a sight that'll stick with 'ya -- they haven't yet made any "brain bleach" to make that one go away.

When I awoke again... ;) - it's funny now - I managed to straighten out the leg and get my back up against the pole. Got my arm into my lap, all the "pressure" off the broken stuff, then started trying to get some attention.

Some drunk "person" came walking up.

"You ok, dude?"

"No. I got hit by a car -- I need an ambulance."

"Damn. ... you want me to call you an ambulance?"

"YES -- PLEASE!!"

"..."

"Gimme twenny dollas."

I wish I was kidding. F***ker made me give him $$ before he'd call me an ambulance. I gave him money, but I don't think he called anyone -- the cops said the driver called when he got home -- all told I was there for the better part of 2 hours before the ambulance showed. By then I was on an endorphin high, and in pretty bad shape, but not too far gone to fight the EMTs -- I knew as soon as they touched me pain would be unbearable. I wasn't wrong...

I tell this story because I guess I want to point out that dirtbags of all stripes have always existed, and seem to have an especially high per-capita concentration in more urban areas.

Still -- said dirtbag could easily have taken my wallet but didn't even try -- he simply waited while I managed to dig out my wallet and give him the cash he demanded for the service of calling a half-dead man an ambulance.

I can't imagine the sort who would take a dying man's groceries and leave him there to die. I do know that had I been present I'd have had to leave to resist knee-capping such feral beasts.

I wonder sometimes if I have done the right thing in bringing children into such a world.

At least I have ensured they know how and are equipped to defend themselves...

DD

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,761 Posts
there is (and always was) a full range of people out there, some good, some evil and a bunch in between.

Probably will never change

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
...Jesus, Mary and Joseph, what a hell of a bad time you had. I'm glad you're better off now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts