Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Maltby No4 MKI BB1943 serial 13,094. F.R. right buttstock marked. SL74 stock and magazine numbered to rifle. Magazine appears re-numbered. Mint bore. Very good metal. A few dings and one shallow three inch scratch all on buttstock. The Fjestad Blue Book of 2008 lists an 80% gun at $375 and a 90% gun at $450 and a 95% gun at $500. Have these rifles increased in value this much since the $125-150 rifle of 10-15 years ago? I saw this gun at an out of town shop six months ago for $160 and did not buy it. Well, I was recently back to that shop and corrected my earlier "mistake". Seems in outstate Michigan they like their 22LR rifles and shotguns and the occasiional SKS more than WWII battle rifles.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,498 Posts
F.R. right buttstock marked
I think that is an Indian refurb mark from the days of the Raj. Does it have an Ishy screw? Also, how many lands/grooves in the bore.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Price guides are always "wrong", but you can be sure it was worth what you paid!:crossfingers:

·
Silver Bullet member
837 Posts
The Blue Books are a guide only and seldom reflect actual cash value. A Maltby in the description you described would be around $200+/- in my AO. The "FR" is an indication it was been in Indian service at one time.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
$150-250 would be a good average price range for what you describe. The jury is not altogether in as to whether the "FR" stamped on the right side of the butt is Indian or not. Generally, an Indian FR mark is stamped on the action body...left (normally), or occasionally the right side of the buttsocket.

·
Silver Bullet member
837 Posts
$150-250 would be a good average price range for what you describe. The jury is not altogether in as to whether the "FR" stamped on the right side of the butt is Indian or not. Generally, an Indian FR mark is stamped on the action body...left (normally), or occasionally the right side of the buttsocket.
I have not seen that many "FR" marks and not every one I have seen had other Indian service indications. I have seen the "FR" on the butt stock, the wrist and the side of the receiver. Nothing really consistent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts