·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
makarov1
Gunboards Member

36 Posts
Posted - 12/21/2003 : 6:40:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many Maks remain in Bulgaria? I consider the Makarov the best value in handguns today, and I'm wondering roughly how many Maks remain in Bulgarian state arsenals. I've heard on this board that the most recent wave of Maks is the last, but I tend to think this is mostly sales hype. Any differing opinions on this board?

cigarman
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1369 Posts
Posted - 12/21/2003 : 6:53:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think it is the last, but I think that the Bulgarians have kept these back for certain. When I was at Dan's I had a chance to see Dan's operation first hand and look at the maks he has on hand. I'll bet that most of the maks were better than the great one I got last year. Many didn't even have a jackass mark around the safety. I found a pair of maks with sequential numbers for myself (serial numbers, not import numbers. The pistols are '88 manufacture, BTW. The latest year I saw was '91.

I think it is human nature to hold back the "best for last". IMHO, they are getting down in the number of maks stored away. We will see, because typically over the last year we have seen a "bloom" of new maks every 3-6 months or so. That would mean that we would see them at the end of Jan. I'll be watching.

In Theory there is no difference between theory and practice.

In Practice, there is.

ij70
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
7025 Posts
Posted - 12/22/2003 : 02:12:44 AM

They still make them, so I do not see how this shipment would be last of anything. Unless US government puts some sort of restriction on importation, only importers will be left to decide. If importer think they can make profit by brining Bulgarian PM into US and selling them here, then we will be able to buy it without much difficulty.

SlimTim
TN-GA Shooters Forum Moderator

USA
5238 Posts
Posted - 12/22/2003 : 08:55:47 AM

IJ70 is certainly correct, as Arsenal is still making the commercial Makarovs. If the question asked pertains to Bulgarian military Makarovs (it didn't say that, but I read that into it) this last shipment is indeed rumoured to be the last. Those rumours likely came from importers or dealers, and like the poster I tend to take such talk with a grain of salt.

What we (sorta) know (as it relates to military Bulgies) is that 2 big batches of around 10k each have been imported in recent years. Likely at least 1 other big batch as well, as there has been 2 different companies bringing them into the states. It'd be easy to figure out if we knew how many military Maks Arsenal had made for the Bulgarian military & police. Unfortunately, even though Bulgaria has joined the free world in recent years, some secrets they still won't share.

At the very least, I'd guess there remain small batches of military Maks in Bulgaria that could be imported, though like Cigarman, I imagine they are used specimens. It could be that there is another large batch in a warehouse, maybe several, but I'm afraid we won't know for certain until they hit our shores.

Once all the military Bulgies have been sold out of Bulgaria, then as IJ70 states, the commercial guns will be the only Bulgarian Maks available to be brought in. It's not a sure thing that they will be imported as the economies of 2 nations figure in here. It may be in the future that they might be too expensive to be imported. Communist labor was cheap, now that a free market determines prices, the Makarov may become a more expensive handgun in the future.

All of this is just dreaming, no way to predict these things. But it could happen!

SlimTim

1 - 1 of 1 Posts