Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,042 Posts
I was looking at some 98/40 pics and it seems (that until you can find the real thing) you could use a 98K bayo lug and a VZ24 upper band. Drill a hole on the opposite side (of the upper band) to mate up with the band spring on the 98/40. Then TIG the upper band hole on the right side and you should be good to go.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
I beg your pardon sir, I was looking at a M33/40 not a 98/40. After looking at the proper rifle this time, I think you can modify the upper band from a M95 Steyr carbine by cutting off the stacking hook and bayo lug. Then use a modified K98 bayo lug.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
If someone has the actual dimensions we would know for sure. The 98/40 was made in Hungary and so was the M95. The upper band design is near identical. It is not unreasonable to imagine they kept the same band dimensions. It would be interesting to know if the German bayo lug/cap would fit inside. You are right about altering the wood - it would definitely turn up if you did it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.