Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my G98/40 for a short while but to no avail I've spent hours searching for a bayo lug and upper barrel band, other than to learn that perhaps the most precious items on earth are the bayo lug and upper band for a G98/40.
I'm getting a repro handguard and stock nose section custom made so I can do a duffle-cut repair on the wood but does anyone know of a master metal worker that would entertain taking on fabbing up the bayo lug and upper band?
I can provide good pictures and MAY be able to borrow originals for measurements, although the latter might be difficult, rare as they are...

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll cut him an e-mail right away..

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I was looking at some 98/40 pics and it seems (that until you can find the real thing) you could use a 98K bayo lug and a VZ24 upper band. Drill a hole on the opposite side (of the upper band) to mate up with the band spring on the 98/40. Then TIG the upper band hole on the right side and you should be good to go.

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I beg your pardon sir, I was looking at a M33/40 not a 98/40. After looking at the proper rifle this time, I think you can modify the upper band from a M95 Steyr carbine by cutting off the stacking hook and bayo lug. Then use a modified K98 bayo lug.

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a lot closer for sure.
I wonder how close the inside "diameter" is to the real item?
I can't alter the wood because as soon as I did so, the real bits would come along!
Now all I have to do is find a M95 band..

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If someone has the actual dimensions we would know for sure. The 98/40 was made in Hungary and so was the M95. The upper band design is near identical. It is not unreasonable to imagine they kept the same band dimensions. It would be interesting to know if the German bayo lug/cap would fit inside. You are right about altering the wood - it would definitely turn up if you did it!

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a quick search for a m95 band but nothing jumped out at me, I'll keep looking..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.