Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving to Florida soon and want to hunt wild pigs and alligators. I have a mosin and want to sporterize it for hunting while I am there. I am thinking that I want to have the barrel cut down to 18 1/2 inches with the original front sight still on the end, having the firing pin and every spring in the gun replaced, and having it coated with the same type of stuff that they use to spray in pickup truck beds (I forget what it is called).

What do think about my ideas to sporterize my mosin? Is there a better way to make the gun portable and marine grade waterproof? What would be the best "angry wild pig stopper" load?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Way down near the bottom of the forum is a section called "The Workbench", you will get a better response there, this section is for "Collecting", a lot of people don't like cutting up 60 year old rifles here! I'd loved to go hog hunting sometime, good luck on your project!!

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
The gun you want is called a m/38 carbine. Find one and buy a Kevlar or fiberglass stock and ta da your gator gun. I'm sending this to the workbench for further comments.

·
Banned
6,075 Posts
dont do the ruff finish on the stock..bed liner stuff.....
a short bbl ,, lite stock,and 203 hunting load...well dont shoot that combo off a bench...ouch!

ok you have an inexpensive gun( you never said what mosin you have ??) and there are tons of them..so if ya want...go for it......get a better trigger and lighter firing pin spring....

mike in co

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
I will be moving to Florida soon and want to hunt wild pigs and alligators. I have a mosin and want to sporterize it for hunting while I am there. I am thinking that I want to have the barrel cut down to 18 1/2 inches with the original front sight still on the end, having the firing pin and every spring in the gun replaced, and having it coated with the same type of stuff that they use to spray in pickup truck beds (I forget what it is called).

What do think about my ideas to sporterize my mosin? Is there a better way to make the gun portable and marine grade waterproof? What would be the best "angry wild pig stopper" load?

·
Registered
952 Posts
The Mosin "is what it is", the safety is not very hunter friendly and should you decide to chop the barrel your accuracy will likely not improve. Best bet is to buy a Mosin carbine and use it as is. The rifle was never intended to be "marine grade" and I would not waste time and money on that concept; buy a synthetic stock rifle or shotgun if that is what you desire in a firearm.
Additionally, before you set your heart on gator hunting (especially with large caliber) check with the locals; Swamp people ,on tv, use a .22 for a very good reason. I personally would not like to make a "point blank" shot with a rifle in this power class. Also, check state laws regarding alligator hunting.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Ranges are short for hogs and since they are low to the ground, hard to see in the scrub, and fast a quick second shot is a requirement. Longest shot I ever had was 60 yards (with a 44 mag revolver, hit him 2 out of 3, running!) . I'd get a pump shotgun that's accurate with slugs, or pump, autoloading or lever action rifle instead of any bolt action, and especially the slow, clumsy Mosin.

Alligators are all very short range. Most any handgun is fine, or very modest power rifle. You need a special "trapping" license to hunt them that costs a total of $334 and theya re assigned by a drawing. http://myfwc.com/license/limited-entry-hunts/general-info/alligator-hunt-permit/

The main website is: http://myfwc.com/hunting/

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ranges are short for hogs and since they are low to the ground, hard to see in the scrub, and fast a quick second shot is a requirement. Longest shot I ever had was 60 yards (with a 44 mag revolver, hit him 2 out of 3, running!) . I'd get a pump shotgun that's accurate with slugs, or pump, autoloading or lever action rifle instead of any bolt action, and especially the slow, clumsy Mosin.

Alligators are all very short range. Most any handgun is fine, or very modest power rifle. You need a special "trapping" license to hunt them that costs a total of $334 and theya re assigned by a drawing. http://myfwc.com/license/limited-entry-hunts/general-info/alligator-hunt-permit/

The main website is: http://myfwc.com/hunting/
Man makes a bunch of sense to me! By far the best way to approach this thread and issue;)

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,038 Posts
most hog hunting is done at night. You would want a scope for that. Also you dont need 200+ grain bullet to kill one. I used my 7mag last year with a 150gr bullet. 2 bullets= 2 dead hogs. If you really want a mosin as you hog gun and want it in a new stock and all that jazz. Do yourself a favor, and buy a already ruined one on gunbroker or in a pawn shop. No reason to ruin a perfectly good piece of history. I bought one a while back for $89 dollars on gb. It had scope, monte stock, bent bolt and ati mount. I sold it now that i realized i'll never use it, but it was cheap and what i wanted at the time.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, hogs are not tanks. I know folks who shoot them with all types of rounds. The myosin wil do as good as anything. If you hit what you Are shooting at with those big heavy bullets, you will drop anything. Heck, caribou shoots everything from bears to whales with it. my dad is very recoil sensitive and shoots 22-250 or 556 at them and has killed loads. He shoots them in the ear though. 357 is pretty common as well. Why would you need to sporterize it for hogs? It is a pretty handy rifle already. I would think an m44 would be a great o rifle for tight swamps. Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.