Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops! My bad, make that 150 trucks carrying supplies.

------------------------------------------------------------
Suspected Taliban insurgents attacked two truck stops, destroying more than 150 vehicles carrying supplies bound for U.S.-led troops in Afghanistan.

By Laura King, Reporting from Islamabad, Pakistan

6:32 AM PST, December 7, 2008

In one of the biggest and most brazen attacks of its kind to date, suspected Taliban insurgents with heavy weapons attacked two truck stops in northwest Pakistan early today, destroying more than 150 vehicles carrying supplies bound for U.S.-led troops in Afghanistan.

The predawn attack on the outskirts of the city of Peshawar left the grounds of the truck terminals littered with the burned-out shells of Humvees and other military vehicles. At least one guard was reported killed.

Peshawar abuts Pakistan's barely governed tribal areas, which are rife with violence, but an attack of this scale on the city's doorstep is rare.

With attention focused on tensions between India and Pakistan in the wake of the attacks in Mumbai last month, U.S. officials are concerned that Pakistan will throttle back on its confrontation with militants in the tribal areas, opening the door to more such strikes.

U.S. military officials in Afghanistan declined to specify the number of vehicles destroyed in today's attack, but described the losses as militarily insignificant. However, the bold assault underscored the vulnerability of supplies moving by road through Pakistan.

About three-quarters of the supplies bound for Western troops in Afghanistan -- fuel, food and equipment -- travel by road after being shipped to the port of Karachi. Afghanistan has no sea access.

Militant attacks on Western military convoys have been gaining force in recent weeks. Most of the assaults have occurred as trucks moved through the tribal areas on their way to the historic Khyber Pass that leads into Afghanistan.

Nearly a month ago, militants hijacked a convoy of more than a dozen vehicles in the Khyber agency. They posed for triumphal photos with two captured Humvees they draped with Taliban banners. Then last week, 22 trucks were torched at a truck stop close to the scene of today's attack.

Witnesses said in this latest assault, the attackers fired rocket-propelled grenades before overrunning the two depots and torching dozens of trucks. Pakistani police did not arrive at the scene until about 40 minutes later, they said.

Pakistan briefly closed the Khyber Pass to military traffic after the Nov. 10 hijacking, but reopened it, declaring that convoys would be guarded by paramilitary troops on the road. But many truckers said they still felt unsafe.

Peshawar itself is also on edge. The death toll in a car bombing Saturday in the crowded city center rose to 29. Authorities said the blast might have been the result of sectarian tensions, but no group claimed responsibility.

Earlier this year, the Pakistani military carried out an offensive in the Khyber agency after militants began menacing Peshawar, but area residents said the insurgents moved back in as soon as the troops left.

Special correspondent Zulfiqar Ali contributed to this report from Peshawar.

·
Banned
3,553 Posts
BRussell.....you're getting WAY too much enjoyment out of all this bad news.....perhaps you're on the wrong side?????......I hear Al Qaeda is recruiting...They need mindless, brainwashable Idiots so that they can mold into terrorists......you're a perfect candidate......

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BRussell.....you're getting WAY too much enjoyment out of all this bad news.....perhaps you're on the wrong side?????......I hear Al Qaeda is recruiting...They need mindless, brainwashable Idiots so that they can mold into terrorists......you're a perfect candidate......

I'm sorry, I wasn't the one in the 80's and 90's that put $$$ into the hands of the terrorists so that they could kill our fellow countrymen since 1993.

Let's see...oh, yeah, that would be YOU, you pot head.

;->

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Yep, I can see old BR out there on the Shomali Plain with his BB Gun, teaching tactics to the ANA. No, that would involve him getting off his couch. As I've said before, his continued postings are just a manifestation of his hatred for the military, because he's looking back on a life that has accomplished nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.