Administrator
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North Bender
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
2927 Posts
Posted - 05/06/2007 : 7:39:45 PM

Well, not really "tests", I just played around to see how far the Mak can shoot.

This weekend I attended a shoot in a recently-plowed wheat field in northern Oregon. The puff of dirt made it easy to see where a bullet landed. We set up targets at 500 and 1,000-yards and blasted away with a wide assortment of rifles. So I pulled out the Makarov to see how I could do.

Shooting the Norinco 93-grain FMJ which travels a bit over 1,000 fps, I could easily get close to the 500-yard target. It was a bit windy and I could not get shots consistently placed but I could get remarkedly close.

I couldn't reach the 1,000-yard target. I don't think I got much over 800-yards; maybe 850.

What a great way to spend an afternoon: on top of a hillside, surrounded by plowed and newly-planted fields, 3-miles away from any house, blasting away. That activity has North Bender's personal recommendation.

·
Administrator
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just thought that was interesting - how far can a 9x18 round travel?

I thought it would go farther. I tried all elevations, but could not get to 1,000 yards.

Edit to add a response I made to a comment:

I was aiming at the 500-yard target holding the Mak some 3 or 4-inches above the target. It's hard to say, because of the wind. Mostly I was trying to see if the pistol would shoot that far. At 500-yards it will shoot that far, and you don't want to get in a gunfight with me at that range; I was close.

A target we all can appreciate is sheetrock. I asked all around for some and none was available. When you hit sheetrock you get a glorious puff of smoke that can be seen at 1,000-yards.

·
Administrator
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone tried to shoot other pistol calibers for distance?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had a conversation last weekend with the president of my gun club, who said he once fired a 1911 for distance over a plowed field and had been unable to get more than 300 yards out of military hardball no matter what the angle of barrel elevation. I found it a bit hard to believe it wouldn't lob 230 grains farther than that, but he was pretty adamant on the range figure.

·
Administrator
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that note Wrangler. I'm going back to the plowed field next spring with the Makarov, a Single Action Army (USFA) in .45 Colt, several makes of 9mm, and whatever else I can round up. Long distance shooting is real interesting to me.

BTW, the Winchester Model 94, an old 1950's in .30-.30, could shot over the 1,000-yard target. It's not the strongest round! To me that was some indication of what a difference a rifle makes over a pistol.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
The British SAS used to hold some sort of specialized long range shooting match with 9mm Hi-Powers. If I find the article, I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
480 Posts
NB, I wonder if you could reliably HIT that 1,000 yard target with the 30-30 using the (relatively) new Hornady spitzer boat tail bullets? They're supposed to make the traditional lever action a whole new gun in terms of power at distance. Just thinkin' - as long as you're at the range, and all. :)

·
Administrator
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrangler, I didn't have that new Hornady. I was using some pretty un-remarkable Mexican and some other stuff. But now that you mention it I'll try that Hornady out.

I could only come close with the .30-.30. I was holding about 4-inches of sky to shoot that distance. You could fire, put down the rifle, and cross your legs while you were waiting for it to travel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts