Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an East german Makarov, dated 1961 I believe, in excellent condition with a really nice bore. I have put several hundred rounds thru it without incident and always clean it thoroughly after each use. It is great pistol and its accuracy puts many of the more expensive Walthers I have collected over the years to shame. The last time I fired it at the range, this is what hapened; I fired one magazine and loaded a second fresh one. When I released the slide with the slide lock to chamber the first round, the Mak fired. I did not have my finger near the trigger and had the gun pointed down range, so nothing catastrophic happened. Has anyone experienced this problem and is it possible to determine which parts are worn or defective from the description I gave? Also, do you have any recommendations on where to purchase replcement parts? Thanks. Mark N.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my E.German Mak

i had a E. G. mak back in the day that would also sometimes fire a round when the slide was released. i shot at an indoor range and ALWAYS made sure the pistol was pointed in the right direction as i inserted the magazine and released the slide. i actually had it happen twice where i slammed the magazine in and the slide flew forward and shot a round. i always cleaned my pistol after every range session and just figured the pistol was a little worn out somewhere and needed a new part or two.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
If the firing pin channel is clean and the pin rattles freely, you may have some worn parts (sear...)
I tend not to use the slide stop as a slide release to save wear. I grip the slide and 'slingshot' the round in from the mag. Just my 3 cents... (inflation ya know).

·
Gold Bullet Member
533 Posts
There is also a chance that the sear notch on the hammer or the sear itself is worn or buggered by a bad trigger job or the sear spring to weak.
This could cause the sear to jump out of the hammer notch allowing the hammer to drop when the slide slams shut.

Edit to add:Chuckmak beat me to it. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can you imagine if that happens to you when you chamber a round in your car or at home after cleaning it. I just did a search here, it's happening quite often to the Makarov
Not a very safe situation is it ??

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,261 Posts
Can you imagine if that happens to you when you chamber a round in your car or at home after cleaning it. I just did a search here, it's happening quite often to the Makarov
Can you share with us all the other instances you found? I don't think it's happening quite often at all.

SlimTim

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
These are examples of what can happen when a pistol has worn out parts, or has not been cleaned properly. When Makarovs are maintained and the firing pin channel has had the cosmoline removed, they are reliable and safe. No pistol is safe with worn out parts. This is just the way it is with mil-surp guns. That's one of the reasons they cost so much less than new production fireams at retail.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,261 Posts

Joe, THANKS for takking the time to pull those threads up and post the links. It is appreciated.

However, it appears we have some miscommunication here.

Most of those threads are about double taps or more, most likely caused by inadvertant bump firing. Only the one accidental discharge thread might possibly be attributed to your scenario of chambering a round and the Mak firing.

These are two very different situations. The original poster's is in fact the first I've heard of. I've read many bump fire reports and have experienced it myself. So, they are not the same, and a round firing from chambering a Makarov is in fact, a problem that has only been reported once to my knowledge. Thanks for helping clarify this.

SlimTim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I respectfully disagree with you Slim there is no miscommunication here.
Most of those threads are not about double taps or bump firing.

When the sear and the hammer wears down a slam fire could happen
when you rack the slide.
It's almost imposable to see the wears when you clean your gun.

The firing pin hole could get real dirty and perhaps make it slam fire

But there is a known check for a stuck firing pin by shaking your gun
back and fort once or twice you can hear the firing pin even with a
round in the chamber.
I love to shoot the Makarov I have four of them but what it dos it dos

Respectfully JB

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Considering 'Newsweek' magazine claims the Makarov is far and away the most common pistol in use today worldwide, four possible instances of worn parts causing the firearm to discharge doesn't seem like that many. (Emphasis added to the word "possible" because some of those reports are unconfirmed.)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
So your point is Joe that the Makarov CAN slam fire if it has a worn sear? I have seen a Remington .22 semi auto rifle go full auto from a worn sear it turned out, and heard of many more instances of failures under similar circumstances with all makes and manners of arms. Almost any semi-automatic firearm CAN, given a bad sear or another severely worn part, malfunction in some aspect. This is certainly nothing new, and with the Mak you are often talking about surplus pistols which have had an unknown number of rounds put through them. One will have to accept that fact when they buy one. Unless it is new, or you replace all the parts, you will have some wear and tear you will have to deal with. That is why with any firearm safe handling at ALL times is a MUST.

Not sure of the big thing, it is the nature of somethign mechanical.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
IJ flag

Bump firing and AD are two totally different things. AD's are possible with any gun but it's usually not the guns fault.
If the firing pin chanel is dirty enough to hang the firing pin how come it only discharges one time, most time when this happens in a pistol or rifle it goes full auto and empties the mag, so how many have had that happen.
I'm about ready to get IJ to run up the flag.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.