Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I responded to a recoil spring question by rkramer and it set the gears to turning again on something I've been wondering about for a while. Will using the heavier recoil springs increase the velocity of the round? Since the Mak is a straight blow back gun going from a stock 17 lb. spring to the 21 lb. spring would mean a 4 lb. increase in spring pressure for the slide to overcome before starting to move. Would that not cause a rise in the chamber pressure and give a slightly higher bullet velocity? NB's the resident 9x18 expert and has done a lot of chrony work on mak rounds maybe we can talk him into running some test to see. I think I have a new unused set of Wolf springs I'd be willing to kick in for the testing. What do others think on this?

·
Registered
480 Posts
My impression is that all autoloaders are designed so that the slide stays fully closed until the bullet has left the barrel and pressures have dropped to the point where the case doesn't need the support of the chamber walls to avoid rupture. Also, in hammer-fired guns like the Mak, the mainspring (hammer spring) usually provides more initial resistance to slide movement than the recoil spring does. So I'd guess that a small change in the weight of the recoil spring in a Mak would NOT make a difference in muzzle velocity. But I have no data to prove it.

·
Administrator
7,418 Posts
I agree with Wrangler, although it's always been a question for me too. TN, maybe I'll fire up the chrony. It'll take a week or so, I've got a cross-state road trip coming.

·
Administrator
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NB, like I said I've got a complete new set of15, 17, 19 and 21 lb. springs if you need them just Pm me the address and I'll send them to you. It'll probably take me a few days to find them. I've got em stashed somewhere.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It is my understanding that the velocity of the round is based on the load ie... powder charge and projectile and the length of the barrel. The recoil spring only affects the felt recoil of the weapon and function of the weapon to bring it back into battery for the next round.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts