Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, after learning the rules on the MAK 90 and compliance parts, etc...I bought an American made synthetic furniture set, described as fitting all AK stamped variants...I may be mechanically challenged on this one but how does one remove the receiver end "cap" on the Mak to get the new stock to fit? Soemone must have done this already and I am sure it is easy but I am just dense on this one.
Thanks,
Flakshield
UPDATE:
Guys,
It sure looks like this was an underfolder that was converted before import in 92'...so what are my options besides the fat thumbhole stock?
Flakshield

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish, Riddick...no pics tonight...it is a 1992 vintage Mak90 with the beautiful fat thumbhole stock...it did manage to keep the threaded barrel somehow unbuggered...any way, when you remove the buttstock, the end of the receiver has the stock bracket welded to a metal end cap that goes into the receiver...does this come out?
Thanks,
Flakshield

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,873 Posts
I must of owned over 50 MAK90's in my life and don't quite get what you're talking about. I wish you had a picture. Late in the production they slant cut the receiver to reduce stock splitting, I wonder if this a intermediate step between the earlier non cut receivers and the later cut ones? Or it could just be something I know nothing about :)

·
Banned
3,553 Posts
Your saying the End is Boxed????......Sure sounds like it could've been an underfolder in it's pastlife......If so, I would highy recommend putting back into it's original state as an underfolder......but then you would probably need a new receiver.....I would just hate to see you Dremel the end....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Would it look something like this?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct, Ghostcat...it is boxed, slanted and has the stock bracket welded on to the "box" it appears. Though it was obviously put together as a postban ak, its threaded muzzle is intact...I bought it new back in 1992...never paid any attention to this feature until now.
Flakshield

·
Registered
41 Posts
Underfolder?

Your saying the End is Boxed????......Sure sounds like it could've been an underfolder in it's pastlife......If so, I would highy recommend putting back into it's original state as an underfolder......but then you would probably need a new receiver.....I would just hate to see you Dremel the end....
I agree with GhostCat on the underfolder bit. Does it have some type of "plugs" on each side of the receiver near the back end? If it does, it started life as an underfolder and I'd return it to that original state. Mad Max son of Madtechcool

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will check and get some photos tomorrow...my guess is it does...what are the implications of adding an underfolder stock...My original intention was adding 3 compliance parts with the stock set...and 3 with the us made mags.
Flakshield

·
Registered
102 Posts
A Chinese folding stock might be hard to find, but would be the way to go. I found this stock at a yard sale, then later ran across one of the "transition" MAK 90's with the plugged stock holes in the receiver. I went ahead & replaced the gas piston, which required a drill press, but makes it legal with any mag. This one had a threaded muzzle with just a touch of weld holding on a thread cover. It now has a U.S. flash hider. Choate forend. O.K, the Tapco grip & AR type flash hider are not quite "correct", but do MAK 90's have a historical significance? This was a crime bill expiration celibration project.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MAK 90-Mystery Underfolder...UPDATED w/ Pics

See pics in the original post...definitely looks like an underfolder converted for import.
Flakshield

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.