Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Attached is a page from the US Domestic Mail Manual (DMM). Scroll down to paragraph 1.2 (entitled "Handguns). It is a VIOLATION of Federal Law to mail a handgun to ANYONE not listed as authorized persons. You must fill out and sign the USPS form entitled "SHIPPER of FIREARMS", which is kept on file at the mailing post office, then ship the item via Registered Mail ONLY. A false statement on this form could be used against you if the handgun were discovered in the mail.
I WOULD NOT attempt to mail any handgun, EXCEPT from one FFL licensee to another.....PERIOD! To do so otherwise could land one in some VERY SERIOUS hot water!!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
For those who asked, this is the link to the USPS Regulations concerning the shipping of firearms. As a posted earlier, it is legal for C&R FFL holders to ship and receive handguns sent by other FFL holders. Only holders of FFLs can ship via USPS. Non FFL holders are prohibited.

As someone stated previously, the shipping of handguns via USPS was reserved for 01FFL only. In recent years the USPS regulations (see link above for current rules) have changed and now 03FFL are granted the same privileges as the 01FFLs.

For those concerned about the loss/theft of firearms when using the USPS, ship them using Registered Mail. Each time the package changes hands, it must be signed for. This is how high value items, i.e. stock certificates, bearer bonds, jewelry, etc. are shipped. I use it all the time when firearms are shipped.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
wow.....you people really need to get a lawyer......Trust me I have spent 40 years in law....YOU CAN NOT MAIL A HANDGUN THRU USPS UNLESS YOU ARE AN AUTHORIZED PERSON......what everyone keeps referrenceing too as the Post office updating their laws is the wrong section ! They are referring to section 431.5 FFL's which is in the defintions sections. NOT the actual section regarding the law. One must look at the entire law. The malleability of handguns is outlined under section 432.2 and clearly outlines in 432..21 who the authorized persons are. and they clearly spell out ONLY DEALERS When people post about section431. the definitions section clearly separate dealers an FFL01 from a collector an FFL03.
432.2 Handguns

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:
432.21 Authorized Persons

Subject to 432.22, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties, and upon filing the required affidavit or certificate:

·
Silver Bullet member
2,368 Posts
I cant find in the above postings where C&R FFL can ship a pistol using the USPS. My eyes are old. can someone point that out to me please ? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
This is a subject that had been discussed for the almost 20 years that I’ve been a member of forums. I think Big Boy explained it nicely!! I’m tired of FF1 people calling us “fools”. Every transaction requires that you register it in your book. It's your business how you deal with people.
For those who asked, this is the link to the USPS Regulations concerning the shipping of firearms. As a posted earlier, it is legal for C&R FFL holders to ship and receive handguns sent by other FFL holders. Only holders of FFLs can ship via USPS. Non FFL holders are prohibited.

As someone stated previously, the shipping of handguns via USPS was reserved for 01FFL only. In recent years the USPS regulations (see link above for current rules) have changed and now 03FFL are granted the same privileges as the 01FFLs.

For those concerned about the loss/theft of firearms when using the USPS, ship them using Registered Mail. Each time the package changes hands, it must be signed for. This is how high value items, i.e. stock certificates, bearer bonds, jewelry, etc. are shipped. I use it all the time when firearms are shipped.

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,276 Posts
OK , look at 432.2. Clearly you CAN NOT ship a handgun as a C&R thru the US mail unless it is an antique!
"Firearms meeting the deft. of a handgun under 431.2 and the deft. of a C&R under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between C&R collectors ONLY when the firearm also meets the deft. of an antique firearm under 431.1."
If someone can find something that supercedes this rule, pass it on.

considering an antique firearm is not a firearm per atf definitions this section is weird. I thought a non firearm could be transferred however. Anyway, I always transfer everything thru my FFL ‘dealer’. Go figure

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
OK , look at 432.2. Clearly you CAN NOT ship a handgun as a C&R thru the US mail unless it is an antique!
"Firearms meeting the deft. of a handgun under 431.2 and the deft. of a C&R under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between C&R collectors ONLY when the firearm also meets the deft. of an antique firearm under 431.1."
If someone can find something that supercedes this rule, pass it on.

considering an antique firearm is not a firearm per atf definitions this section is weird. I thought a non firearm could be transferred however. Anyway, I always transfer everything thru my FFL ‘dealer’. Go figure
You are 100% correct.....unless you are an authorized person (which is only laid out as a dealer or others in 432.21) you can not ship a handgun unless its an antique. People confuse the fact that they list a FFL03 under the defination section as an FFL holder but it clearly separates them under 432.21. But hey, if they want to try and get away with it and some Postmasters do not even understand the law because of the confusion, good for them if they can get away with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a subject that had been discussed for the almost 20 years that I’ve been a member of forums. I think Big Boy explained it nicely!! I’m tired of FF1 people calling us “fools”. Every transaction requires that you register it in your book. It's your business how you deal with people.
Per the above, C & R can only ship antique handguns to another C & R (or FFL 01)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Per the above, C & R can only ship antique handguns to another C & R (or FFL 01)
Sadly, "antique" does not mean C&R. Here is 431.3

431.3 Antique Firearm

Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shotgun/pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
  2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just spent some time on the USPS site trying to figure out why the rules seemed to be in conflict. It's because there is a mistake. The following is what I emailed to the USPS...

Your mailability policy has an error.

432.3e references an exception in 432.3a. This makes no sense, and would allow C&R FFL03 holders to mail handguns. It appears you meant to reference 432.2a not 432.3a. This would allow C&R FFL03 holders to ship C&R firearms EXCEPT for handguns that are not defined as antiques.

432.2a and 432.3e are in conflict. Please correct the wording of the mailability rules.

The USPS would benefit by allowing Federally licensed C&R collectors to use the Postal Service to mail C&R handguns instead of being limited to FedEx and UPS.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I just spent some time on the USPS site trying to figure out why the rules seemed to be in conflict. It's because there is a mistake. The following is what I emailed to the USPS...

432.3e references an exception in 432.3a. This makes no sense, and would allow C&R FFL03 holders to mail handguns. It appears you meant to reference 432.2a not 432.3a. This would allow C&R FFL03 holders to ship C&R firearms EXCEPT for handguns that are not defined as antiques.

432.2a and 432.3e are in conflict. Please correct the wording of the mailability rules.

The USPS would benefit by allowing Federally licensed C&R collectors to use the Postal Service to mail C&R handguns instead of being limited to FedEx and UPS.

Thank you.
Just think .......allowing CR (Fools)holders to transfer hand guns through the mail, would take away from FF1 holders charging up wards of 30 dollars to transfer hand guns through the USPS!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

Thank you.
Dorian.....There is no conflict between the two. just different restrictions for the different types of guns. 432.2 deals with handguns and 432.3 deals with rifles and shotguns. It is ok to mail a rifle or shotgun to another state or instate even if you are not a licensee holder. however, for handguns you can only mail it, if the gun also classifies as an antique. unless you are a dealer or what they refer to as another qualified person. which unfortunately does not include a C&R holder. with the current adminstration I do not see them easing restrictions on this especially when they are pushing for universial background checks ,which would require any transfer to be only through an FFL01. That is primarily the reason they do not allow it. To ensure any mailed handgun is only going to a dealer from a dealer. Then in states like California, even a C&R holder must go through a dealer to obtain their gun. Its stupid. At least here in my state of PA. If a seller only ships to a dealer, I just go in and show my License and he hands me the gun after logging it out of his book. LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dorian.....There is no conflict between the two. just different restrictions for the different types of guns. 432.2 deals with handguns and 432.3 deals with rifles and shotguns. It is ok to mail a rifle or shotgun to another state or instate even if you are not a licensee holder. however, for handguns you can only mail it, if the gun also classifies as an antique. unless you are a dealer or what they refer to as another qualified person. which unfortunately does not include a C&R holder. with the current adminstration I do not see them easing restrictions on this especially when they are pushing for universial background checks ,which would require any transfer to be only through an FFL01. That is primarily the reason they do not allow it. To ensure any mailed handgun is only going to a dealer from a dealer. Then in states like California, even a C&R holder must go through a dealer to obtain their gun. Its stupid. At least here in my state of PA. If a seller only ships to a dealer, I just go in and show my License and he hands me the gun after logging it out of his book. LOL
Yoebuff, the conflict is not between 432.2 and 432.3. You are correct, one deals with handguns and one deals with long guns. Their intent was that C&R holders may mail long guns but not handguns except for muzzle loaders or handguns manufactured in 1898 or earlier. The USPS referenced the wrong sub-paragraph. They were off by 1 digit. As currently written it makes no sense. They meant to reference 432.2a not 432.3a.

Except as described in 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

432.3a Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must: Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

They meant to reference 432.2a not 432.3a

432.2a Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.

431.3 Antique Firearm
Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shotgun/pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

a. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

b. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

43 Firearms | Postal Explorer (usps.com)

·
Registered
473 Posts
When I got my 03 License years ago I called the BATF and was told I could ship antiques, rifles, and shotguns thru the USPS, but not handguns. Only 01 dealers may send to other 01 dealers in regards to handguns. Also, when U insure a package, and today U'd be crazy not to, U have to declare what the item is and of course the value. I ship handguns vis UPS.. 03 Licensee's aren't DEALERS, we are Collectors. Why is this the rule? Damnifino.
Nothing in the law supports the comment made by the BATF agent. The law simply states what a Curio and Relic is and that anything defined as a C&R may be shipped to the residence of the C&R license holder. No where does it break down the C&R by type of weapon. There is often confusion with what the law states (and does not state) in regards to 01FFL's and the laws around an 03FFL. In general, because C&R pistols are not excluded directly, they are legal to ship to a C&R holder. I would be more worried about the state laws than the Federal Laws. In Michigan, my state, 1/2 of the sheriffs would tell you that any pistol, even a C&R, has to be registered. Yet, there is no process to do this. In Michigan there is no distinction between a C&R pistol and any other pistol. Yet, there is for 01FFL's. They are not required to register their handguns, yet 03FFL's, supposedly are, yet the is nothing in the law that states this. As far as Michigan is concerned ALL pistols must be registered.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,145 Posts
After all this palaver, nobody has yet cited the controlling federal law, which trumps all regulations, and which regulations cannot lawfully exceed or make exceptions to.

Looks it up: 18 US Code Section 1715.

M

21 - 40 of 50 Posts