Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, sorry in advance.

I am a C&R FFL holder wanting to sell a C&R pistol and mail it through USPS. As someone with a C&R, do I qualify as a "licensed" person in the eyes of USPS? Will they let me mail the pistol so long as it is going to an FFL?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
This is a copy of the USPS Postal Regulation defining those FFL holders who are authorized to ship handguns.

431.5 Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL)
Federal Firearms licenses are issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), U.S. Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968, and are defined as follows:
  1. Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms means a manufacturer, dealer, or importer duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) under Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.).
  2. Curio and relic collector means an individual licensed by ATF to transfer or receive only those firearms defined as curios or relics by ATF under Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 478.11.

There is no reason to declare a handgun to a postal employee. If you declare it to be a handgun, ship it via USPS Registered mail. Otherwise it is just another package among thousands of others to be moved.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Just something to think about in this current day of lost and damaged packages. Not declaring the contents as what they are means no recourse for insurance to cover damage or loss at the very least. In over 20 years of shipping guns through the post office via registered mail I've never lost one. On the other hand I've had packages lost or damaged sent priority or parcel post. With ups and fred ex I've had damage and loss using any of their methods. USPS had paid all claims presented but only because I've always been honest with the contents. Customers who have had lost or damaged packages with mis-declared contents have not been able to recover anything. Something to keep in mind if what you're shipping has some value. As for ups and the other recovery has been pretty poor regardless of how carefully things were documented.

Right now it seems that more items are being lost or damaged than ever before. People seem to have less interest in caring about anything so boxes get thrown instead of carried, some get carried off instead of shipped and so on. With both business and personal things I've had more problems in the last year than I have for the rest of my life. I don't expect it to get any better. Keep this in mind when you ship something that has some value to you. Its not possible for you to control its transit, you're depending on others who may not care at all about doing their jobs. No moral judgements here, just pointing out that mis-identifying your item may cost you more in the long run. Doing everything perfect may not always be successful either but your chances are better.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
What Amafrank said.
In the event of a claim for loss or damage, you are crap out of luck.
Possibly in violation of fed regs as well.
I have had luck in all things I have shipped.
I have seen lost and damaged stuff.
Twice I have come home to find pieces a I have paid a bunch for simply lying in the porch.
Some fools who think they can ignore rules and protocols.
I believe the "consensus" involves FedEx overnight as the only viable and legal way to transfer C&R handguns.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What Amafrank said.
In the event of a claim for loss or damage, you are crap out of luck.
Possibly in violation of fed regs as well.
I have had luck in all things I have shipped.
I have seen lost and damaged stuff.
Twice I have come home to find pieces a I have paid a bunch for simply lying in the porch.
Some fools who think they can ignore rules and protocols.
I believe the "consensus" involves FedEx overnight as the only viable and legal way to transfer C&R handguns.
[/QUOT
........You don't have to use the word "fools" referring to other Forum members who don't agree with you!
Joe

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,066 Posts
This is a copy of the USPS Postal Regulation defining those FFL holders who are authorized to ship handguns.

431.5 Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL)
Federal Firearms licenses are issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), U.S. Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968, and are defined as follows:
  1. Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms means a manufacturer, dealer, or importer duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) under Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.).
  2. Curio and relic collector means an individual licensed by ATF to transfer or receive only those firearms defined as curios or relics by ATF under Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 478.11.

There is no reason to declare a handgun to a postal employee. If you declare it to be a handgun, ship it via USPS Registered mail. Otherwise it is just another package among thousands of others to be moved.

you need the 1508 form for a handgun, and you need to get a copy for yourself if you plan on making a claim thru the USPS,
the new claim form online asks for it

to get the 1508, you print (2 copies) and give on to the clerk, who needs to stamp and sign your copy

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
2,276 Posts
The 1508 form applies to all guns shipped, rifle and pistol and to FFL dealers at both ends. Someone posted a reg by the USPS that says C&R can also ship like the regular FFL but I can't find it. Anybody, please share it for the folks here.
My dealer always ships priority , tracking and insured and no problems. I think when there is a 2000 dollar insured gun, the post office pays careful attention as they do not want to pay that out. I never have to declare what kind of gun or even that it is a gun, except on the 1508 form kept by the local post office shipping it out.
I always use a dealer here to ship as I do not want my address decalred to some unknown dealer at the other end. I trust my local FFL .

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 1508 form applies to all guns shipped, rifle and pistol and to FFL dealers at both ends. Someone posted a reg by the USPS that says C&R can also ship like the regular FFL but I can't find it. Anybody, please share it for the folks here.
My dealer always ships priority , tracking and insured and no problems. I think when there is a 2000 dollar insured gun, the post office pays careful attention as they do not want to pay that out. I never have to declare what kind of gun or even that it is a gun, except on the 1508 form kept by the local post office shipping it out.
I always use a dealer here to ship as I do not want my address decalred to some unknown dealer at the other end. I trust my local FFL .
My take was a C&R is okay for long guns, but not handguns.
As for USPS, as bad as they have been lately for losing parcels and not wanting to pay for insured losses, my employer (01 ffl) has been sticking to UPS.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, sorry in advance.

I am a C&R FFL holder wanting to sell a C&R pistol and mail it through USPS. As someone with a C&R, do I qualify as a "licensed" person in the eyes of USPS? Will they let me mail the pistol so long as it is going to an FFL?

Thanks all.
When I got my 03 License years ago I called the BATF and was told I could ship antiques, rifles, and shotguns thru the USPS, but not handguns. Only 01 dealers may send to other 01 dealers in regards to handguns. Also, when U insure a package, and today U'd be crazy not to, U have to declare what the item is and of course the value. I ship handguns vis UPS.. 03 Licensee's aren't DEALERS, we are Collectors. Why is this the rule? Damnifino.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like it is too iffy to bother with for me which is unfortunate as I don't live anywhere close to another FFL I can ship through or a UPS location.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
This is just another area where ATF will not make a statement in plain english that indicates yes or no. I have delt with them on other issues and for some reason they do not want to provide explanations of their own policies. I have had numerous handguns shipped to my C&R by 01 dealers, have not tried between two C&R’s for the reasons above.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is just another area where ATF will not make a statement in plain english that indicates yes or no. I have delt with them on other issues and for some reason they do not want to provide explanations of their own policies. I have had numerous handguns shipped to my C&R by 01 dealers, have not tried between two C&R’s for the reasons above.
I believe it has to do with postal regulations rather than ATF.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts