Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be selling a Colt M1917 military .45 revolver to a friend in another state (Florida) in the near future. I have a current Curio and Relic license and live in Washington State. While I'm pretty conversant with sending C&R rifles, I'd like to know what the rules are for mailing it to another state.

If you have a good link that might explain it, that would be appreciated, too.

Thanks in advance!

·
Copper Bullet member
9,737 Posts
Most replies will parrot the USPS regs that say that only "dealers" can send pistols via the US mail, whether C&R or not. Some C&R licensees work under the "an FFL is an FFL" assumption. I believe the USPS did a piss-poor job of writing their regs.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most replies will parrot the USPS regs that say that only "dealers" can send pistols via the US mail, whether C&R or not. Some C&R licensees work under the "an FFL is an FFL" assumption. I believe the USPS did a piss-poor job of writing their regs.
I'm aware of that, but it has been a while since I've sold a C&R handgun out of state and I'd like to find out if it is still possible. Like you said, the regulations (and not just USPS) are as clear as mud! :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
432.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think that makes it clear -- I'll have to go through an FFL at my end and the "receiver" will need to do so, also. Correct?
I believe that would be the case for usps.
FedEx last I knew would allow a c+r holders to ship handguns and let c+r holders receive. Last time I used FedEx it was expensive as it was 2nd day.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you have a C&R FFL, you "should" be able to ship via UPS or Fed Ex to another FFL. You will have to take it to a hub as the store front places are privately owned and not a common carrier. They require 2nd day or overnight shipping on handguns to minimize theft by their own employees. And there's always the possibility of getting a clerk that doesn't know the laws or company policy. They may call the police on you, been there done that.

If you don't have an FFL, it gets more complicated depending on the receiving FFL. Some will accept a firearm from a non-FFL with a copy of your driver's license. Most will not. Locally, there is only one FFL that will accept but they hold the firearm for 30 days before transfer.

A depressing number of dealer FFL's won't recognize a C&R FFL, I've had a couple of firearms refused and shipped back to me along with a bill for the shipping. They don't consider a C&R a "real" FFL.

Unfortunately, you may end up taking it to a local dealer FFL to have it shipped. It's helpful to already have a hard copy of the receiving FFL.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
Seriously,
Spend a few bucks and give it to a dealer.
Over the years I have found this to be easiest and hassle free.
Gunbroker has a list of dealers in most areas and their fees.
Long guns are relatively hassle free, but pistolas have hoops.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe I’m missing something here, OP. Are you asking whether you can use USPS to “mail” a C&R pistol, or whether you can ship one (through a common carrier) at all? If the latter, then typically, yes.

Does your friend in FL have a C&R?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I constantly scratch my head when I read these sorts of threads. You are not a high-volume dealer, right? You are not concerned that the cost is going to run you out of business, home, or food, right? I just had my FFL ship an L1A1 rifle -- it is big and heavy -- and he charged me $55 total: $40 for the actual business-rate 2-day shipping cost, and $15 for his services including mummifying the thing and properly packing it so well (in the box he provided) that I never felt any need to pay extra for insurance. An individual shipped a 1928 Elsie SxS to me a few weeks ago -- the guy paid a whopping $67 in shipping charges, according to the label on the box. Do the math -- FFLs who do volume business get MUCH lower shipping rates than you or me. If they want to charge more than $15 or even $20 for their services, look around for someone else who will do it for less. Capitalism is great that way -- even FFLs have to price their services in view of the competition.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
A depressing number of dealer FFL's won't recognize a C&R FFL, I've had a couple of firearms refused and shipped back to me along with a bill for the shipping. They don't consider a C&R a "real" FFL.
A C&R license has FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENCE (18 U.S.C. Chapter 44) printed right at the top of the form.

That is what qualifies it as a Federal Firearm License (FFL). Duh!

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
A C&R license has FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENCE (18 U.S.C. Chapter 44) printed right at the top of the form.

That is what qualifies it as a Federal Firearm License (FFL). Duh!
And you well know the added hassles regarding hand guns.
I am selling off a large lifetime accumulation and found it is infinitely better to take them through a 01.
What things say, and what they ultimately mean easily translate into barely related conditions. My nearest FEDEX point is 50 miles. My 01 buddy is 5 miles.
Post office for long guns is 5 miles.

·
Administrator
3,156 Posts
I have an account with USPS, UPS and Fedex - And for pistols, I use UPS 2nd day, as Kroh said above, its whoever's interpretation, as we had a postal inspector tell us that the FFL is an FFL, and I realize that USPS regulations are contradictory. AND stupid, because USPS loses a lot of money not taking handguns for 03's, but will gladly take them from a dealer (most locations will say this). Exactly how is a dealer shipping safer than you or I???
So, I ship UPS 2nd day unless its over a couple of thousand and then ship overnight.
I have had many collector friends ship USPS registered mail, I've never done that.
But for every shipment, I simply check the websites for costs.
I also get UPS or FedEx delivering to the house at least once or twice a week, the nearest drop off is 15 miles for UPS and 25 miles for Fedex, but usually in a week, we're getting something from Amazon or Chewy....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts