Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Cool, looks like that same red color to me...http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?255699-Wood-Mystery-m96-1915&p=2043056#post2043056

My rifle is one year older than yours, but I am convinced it is Mahogany. I took a sample from under the butt plate (ouch!!) but have yet to send to wood lab.

Dutchman, I found a publication about Swede wood import tariffs in the early 1900s that says there was a "tax" or tariff on wood imports to Sweden, in 1914 it was 20%, that could be one reason for the absence of tropical hardwood stocks before that date. The paper stops at 1915 period and I can't tell if the tariff was lifted or not. There may have been war-time shortages that favored imported wood, despite local production. Somewhere in there the economics changed and tropical wood became usable (or a boat-load washed up ashore-- torpedoed). I will send the paper to you in PM.

I noticed when I took my m96 1915 wood sample that the wood is pretty brittle. I've worked lots of hardwoods before. Mahogany is fairly light, and likely not as strong as the beech, walnut and elm stocks used by Sweden then. It may be that this was a short-lived experiment that failed to pan out. I doubt it was as sturdy as the local hardwoods in the hands of young recruits. Lovely and fine to work as the wood is...those northern hardwoods with dense winter rings are strong and sturdy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ben Gunn rev2:

This Gov't site provides the information you need. I used a 1/2" x 1/4" x 3/16" chip split from the barrel channel next to a lightening cut. 3/16" is the thickness of the chip. I can't see that this location would harm the stock strength at all. You could also cut a plug from the butt end if you prefer...

It took 13 weeks for the response, as you can see from the letter.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/research/centers/woodanatomy/wood_idfactsheet.php

Check the section marked "Technique for removal of small samples from valuable wood products:"

Best regards,
Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.