Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as machine gun 7.62x51 ammo, or is it just a myth?
I have some linked 7.62x51. Guy I got it from says its for MG and is too hard on his bolt action. I got it for a good deal.
Again I found a can of 7.62x51 that someone marked MG ammo.

If there is such a thing as MG ammo, how does it differ from regular NATO ammo?
Is it safe to shoot in semi auto's and or bolt actions?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,567 Posts
It is all the same for what you are trying to do. However, you can not take some commercial brassed 7.62 and put through an M-60, MG3, etc. due to open bolt design has loose headspace and commercial brass is not thick enough and can seize the gun to where nothing short of a blow torch will open it back up again. MG /NATO brass (what you are claiming to have) if you will is thicker for the loose headspace. I have also read where you do NOT want to put commercial in older M1As as well as the Polytech M1As due to the same loose headspace.

Most .308 made for military i.e. south african, argentine, Lake city will run fine in all guns, MG, semi, or bolt. But you can't put commercial ammo that would work in bolts and semis in some open bolt MG....

·
Copper Bullet member
9,904 Posts
To answer you simply and clearly...No, there is no such thing as 7.62 Nato MG ammo. Some manufacture might be "hotter" than another, but it is all Nato-spec (or pretty close), for rifles or MGs.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
As the others said....no. It is the same. Here's some I use in my 1919a4 and/or Cetme, bolt gun or whatever.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The only difference between US made 7.62x51mm ball ammunition intended for use in machineguns and that intended for use in rifles is the accuracy requirement. MG grade ammo can be less accurate. It is a myth that machinegun ammunition, regardless of caliber, is ever loaded "hot". The only example I can think of that is even close to an exception to this rule is WWII German 7,9x57mm "-v munition". This ammunition was loaded to a higher velocity for a specially modified MG-81. There is a range of loadings across the spectrum of surplus ammo and some lots are "hotter" than others, and there might also be some ammo out there that was surplussed because it was out of spec. or overpressure.

D.D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.