Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This rifle has been in my family for over 30 years and i am only now trying to look at its history,it is not a standard stock but as you can see it has a lot of markings related to the dept of Defence.It does not fit the description of a sniper rifle,but if you look in front of the magazine there is a third sling swivel which is described on sniper rifles.So i know the rifle was built in 1941 and have found out that the markings on the right side of the butt.(R.MA,2/47) is a rebuild mark out of LSAF.note the s/n has no alpha prefix so am assuming the barrel was part of the refurb.the other markings on the butt are also a quandary that i have no answers for.

any help please.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Rifles rebuilt at Lithgow around this time often used second hand parts , your butt is off an older rifle (looks like Queensland Maple). The forend looks to have some wood removed from near the safety catch, this and the sling swivel in front of the magazine could indicate use as a range rifle. Otherwise it looks like a typical sporterized rifle.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,709 Posts
As doogal said, it was very common to reuse butts on rifles that were refurbished post war, as is indicated on this butt. So it's not original to the rifle from new manufacture but very possible it's original from the time it was repaired in 1947. There's probably no way of knowing for certain that the forend is original to this rifle from 1947 but I don't see any reason to doubt it either. In any case, it doesn't matter because its ****** now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your input guys.went to my local gun dealer in frankston,offered me $50 said it was only good for spare parts.declined his offer.barrel is in great condition as they confirmed so will keep it.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
On that "third sling swivel". It has nothing to do with snipers.
They were originaly there for one of two reasons
1. for the use of cavalry, the rifles were originaly carried butt down in a bucket so you needed the sling to reach the shoulder.
2. for light infantry (a carryover from earlier times)

Oh, and the reason for the staple ahead of the magazine. It was originaly centered and the magazine was chained to it. This was before charger loading so cavalry carried an extra 5 round mag. The idea being that you wouldn't lose the original. Of course later the staple was moved off centre and used to tie the canvas breech cover to the rifle so it wouldn't be lost when you went into action

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.